Engine won't start after work done...... Please help!

ExoticLSC

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just did a bunch of work to my 96 LSC and now it will not run. I dropped the k member to install a 1 3/8" front sway bar, installed a remote mount tranny and engine oil filter, tranny cooler, all new front suspension; uppers, lowers, struts, all bushings, re-pinned the tranny harness for a '98 tranny install with PI converter, HD driveshaft, 4:10 gears, 1 3/8" rear sway bar, big brakes front/rear, cobra hub swap, and a walbro 255lph pump assembly from my '95. Most of the parts came from my '95 that was totalled. I'm thinking I might have broken a wire or connector somewhere when I dropped the k-member or when I raised the front of the engine to help get the new tranny in. I checked the crank position sensor, harness and plug and I haven't noticed any issues. The car cranks over fine but will not fire. I did notice that the fuel pump is running whenever the ignition is on even with the engine stopped, which I believe did not occur before. Please help!

Thanks,

-Joe Michael

I have pressure at the rail, but I don't have a guage to measure the psi. I am picking one up today on my way back to my garage. I will check for spark next......

Ok, I have 38 psi at the rail with the ignition on and I have spark. I don't think it would be timing, I never changed anything. I did rotate the engine by hand so that I could bolt in the torque converter, but I don't see how that would cause an issue. Also, the cooling fan is always on with ignition even though the engine is cold??

Odd does it try to fire at all?
Rotating the motor wouldn't matter.
I think the fan being on is normal.
Just started mine cold and the fan was running.

you might want to repost this in the Lincoln Mark VIII forum or ask a mod to move it you will get more guys responding.

It seems as if the injectors are not firing. There was no fuel or even smell of gasoline on the plugs after repeated start attempts. I sprayed some starter fluid into the intake tube after the MAF and the engine started (then died) so it's definitely a fuel issue. Oh, and my fuel pump stopped working at the end of the day. I used the complete fuel pump/float assembly out of my '95, could that have caused an issue?

Thanks for the guidance,

-Joe Michael

Also, the cooling fan is always on with ignition even though the engine is cold??

No start and cooling fan running all the time are two symptoms of a failed PCM.

Unless you have fubared the cooling fan circut by smashing some wires together, I'd lean towards getting a donor PCM to test the car with.

It seems as if the injectors are not firing.

Thanks for the guidance,

-Joe Michael

Oh, there is a third failed PCM symptom, but could also be the VCRM module which also controls the cooling fan.

VCRM is under the bumper cover mounted to the air suspension bracket on the 97-98 cars.

Dunno which would be easier or cheaper to "chunk at the car first" probably the VCRM (variable control relay module) otherwise known as "that box".

Have you opened the door inside the trunk where the air ride is and made sure the red button was pressed down?

Tommy might be dead on with the failed PCM also because I have a 93 PCM that I put into my 94 and when I turn the key on, without even cranking, all I get is the cooling fan. It turned over fine but would not start. When my dad wrecked the 93, it was all on the pass side and he said it would start just barely but shut right back down. I noticed a few weeks later that his fuel shut off button in the trunk was up and not pressed down. That explained why it wouldn't stay running. I'm not saying your PCM is bad but now I'm seeing two wrecked cars that don't want to start now so I just thought I would let you know that I did find his fuel button to be popped up and his PCM was fine before the wreck. It's almost like it has a memory of having the fuel shut off and that's why it won't work in my 94, idk. Something for you to check anyway.

The VCRM is the box that's mounted in front of the radiator, right? Is that the one that has to come out of only a 96? And the PCM is the computer in the driver's kick panel? Just wanted to double check, if I do get a PCM doesn't it have to be the same flash code as the one in the car now?

Pray it's not the VCRM, unless your really good friends with KustomizingKid..

I overlooked the 96 part of the question, because I got distracted by the second gen in your sig

yea, it's in front of the radiator and just like the PCM, the VCRM is a 96 ONLY part.

It seems as if the injectors are not firing. There was no fuel or even smell of gasoline on the plugs after repeated start attempts. I sprayed some starter fluid into the intake tube after the MAF and the engine started (then died) so it's definitely a fuel issue. Oh, and my fuel pump stopped working at the end of the day. I used the complete fuel pump/float assembly out of my '95, could that have caused an issue?

Thanks for the guidance,

-Joe Michael

It would seem your injectors are not working dry plugs go along with this.
If you screwed up the pump you wouldnt have pressure at the rail, you do.

Recheck all connections that you had apart look for bent pins.
Did the car run before you did all the work?
If it did I find it hard to believe your PCM or VCRM went to hell just sitting there.
If the car ran.... then you did all the work, now the car won't run its something you did.
Back track all your work.

******Check this out!

So, I had the PCM from my '97 sitting around the garage and figured "why not?" I know that they are not supposed to be compatible but it would only take me a min to swap them. The engine actually ran..... for about 4 seconds. It starts every time, then dies just seconds later. I assume that the PCM being from a '97, would be looking for the PATS code from the key chip and does not receive it so it shuts down. I could not get the engine to fire at all with the original PCM unless I used starting fluid. This leads me to believe that the VCRM and everything else is ok and I will just need a new PCM. I still don't understand how the PCM would have stopped working but everything seems to point to it as the culprit. If I do need to replace the PCM, will I need to replace it with one that has the same flash code?

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Last edited:
******Check this out!

I assume that the PCM being from a '97, would be looking for the PATS code from the key chip and does not receive it so it shuts down.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

As recently discoverd PATS isn't in the PCM...so if it runs breifly it's not a pats issue

If I do need to replace the PCM, will I need to replace it with one that has the same flash code. Thanks!

To be on the safe side, yes.
to eliminate any bs, yes

but..I've seen a 97 PCM flashed with a 98 code..and vice versa.

I picked up a used Xcal II from Gman here on the board, it had a Reinhart 93 octane tune on it.
I flashed it to my 98 PCM and drove it briefly, it worked fine.

Yes, very odd. I did order a replacement PCM, I will receive it on Monday. I hope that I don't have any other issues. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

-Joe Michael

Members online

No members online now.
Back