Engine Swap?

Beast

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's an off-the-wall question...

I have a 98 Jaguar XJR with 170k miles on it. Needless to say, its getting to be just about time for a rebuild.

From what I've read, the XJR uses the same block as the Lincoln LS. I understand that the internals are different, they're different displacements, electronics, etc... So obviously I can't just swap an LS motor into the XJR.

However, since they use the same block, I'm assuming the bolt pattern on the tranmission and the engine mounts are the same. If that's the case, are there any other engines out there that would bolt into a Lincoln LS? Possibly one of the modular motors from a mustang, or even the Lightning motor? What would it take to make this happen?

Thanks guys!

-Tim

Beast said:
Okay, here's an off-the-wall question...

I have a 98 Jaguar XJR with 170k miles on it. Needless to say, its getting to be just about time for a rebuild.

From what I've read, the XJR uses the same block as the Lincoln LS. I understand that the internals are different, they're different displacements, electronics, etc... So obviously I can't just swap an LS motor into the XJR.

However, since they use the same block, I'm assuming the bolt pattern on the tranmission and the engine mounts are the same. If that's the case, are there any other engines out there that would bolt into a Lincoln LS? Possibly one of the modular motors from a mustang, or even the Lightning motor? What would it take to make this happen?

Thanks guys!

-Tim

yes - the jag XJR and s-type uses the same block but almost 90% different internals, different PCM and electronics, different gauges, ...etc

There are a few threads on this - but in short - the 3.9L is the largest engine that can be loaded from the bottom of the car - which is the way they are built in the factory. If you remove the hood to can stuff a 4.6L into it but would have to swap trannies and engine mangement as well.

the issue will be that the LS uses several different electronic modules on a databus - so swaping the engine management will render the communication to the rest of the vehicle useless - so gauges won't work, fuel metering won't work, ...etc

saw your post on http://forums1.roadfly.org/jaguar/forums/xj8/6137343-1.html

Thanks Quick, I appreciate the info. Yeah, I'm looking at about $7k-$10k to rebuild the XJR engine the way I want. I figure you can buy a damn nice 4.6 for that money, and upgrades are much easier down the road.

I'm not too concerned with the guages and such. I can rebuild the instrument cluster with custom guages and deal with it that way. Alternatively, I may be able to use the OBDII sytem to intercept the signals from the 4.6 computer, then splice them back into the OEM guages.

At any rate, my main priority is more power / more reliability.

Do you happen to know if a 4.6L and automatic will bolt right in, or am I going to have to fabricate motor/tranny mounts?

Thanks again!

Beast said:
Thanks Quick, I appreciate the info. Yeah, I'm looking at about $7k-$10k to rebuild the XJR engine the way I want. I figure you can buy a damn nice 4.6 for that money, and upgrades are much easier down the road.

I'm not too concerned with the guages and such. I can rebuild the instrument cluster with custom guages and deal with it that way. Alternatively, I may be able to use the OBDII sytem to intercept the signals from the 4.6 computer, then splice them back into the OEM guages.

At any rate, my main priority is more power / more reliability.

Do you happen to know if a 4.6L and automatic will bolt right in, or am I going to have to fabricate motor/tranny mounts?

Thanks again!

You probably want to check out the One-Lap-Of-America LS -> http://www.llsoc.com/V2R1/OLOA/default.asp

I think it did drop in from the top of the hood.

you are right about the huge aftermarket options for the 4.6L :Beer

Thanks again Quick. I did come across four or five threads in this forum so far, but haven't really found anything definite. I was checking out the One-Lap sight last night. From what I gather it's at least possible. Unfortunately you have to shell out $35 for a membership before you can join the forum and read how they did it. Since it seems to be the only source for info, it looks like that's going to be the best bet.

thanx.

the OLOA LS did have a lot of issues with overheated - which took them out of the race - they were in 3rd after the first day and ended up missing some events dealing with the problem.

since the car was built for a single race they never really got all the things working that you would need in a daily driver.

That's a good point. Maybe I am better off just shelling out the cash and having the stock motor rebuilt. I just hate being so limited on performance options.

Members online

No members online now.
Back