Engine swap "how-to" advice wanted

8up

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna yank a '93 doner and shove it into a '95. I think I saw something about injection, so I'll go ahead and use the '95 upper intake and fuel rails etc...

So far I lowered the motor to remove the long motor mount bolts. I also removed the mid exhaust section.

After this pre-run I figured I'll move forward, but I have no manual(any pdf avail.) and all tricks, tips, prep work, tools, detailed procedures and "while it's out" to-do lists are needed. $'s available are for basics.

Which yr. driveshaft is best? per future gear chg.

My short list:

- replace gaskets(brand upgrade?), replace oil adapter gasket per elusive leaks
- crank pickup sensor
- Tranny filter
- Mercon V fluid
- Tranny 1,2 mods or what?
- o2 sensors

Thanks in advance,

Scott in socal

from what i gather a gen1 into gen1 swap is easier than a gen1 into a gen2, or gen2 into gen1.. everything is basically the same. plus the gen1 intake is tons better performance wise than that POS gen2 intake.. although a cobra intake makes short work of that problem :) and i like the COP setup better than the traditional setup.

are you taking the motor out through the top or bottom?

Droping it would be cake, but not an option for me.

Pricing on items would be appreciated too.

The gen2 Intake is way better everyone should have one of them on there gen1's I mean 20 hp difference for starters you need to take off your a/c compressor power steering pump, altenator, remove all wiring, bellhouseing bolts, starter, convertor bolts, etc...make sure everything is clear of pulling or snaging on the way out... need anything else???

I'm sure the Gen1 is better but the HP ratings from the factory were the same?

Bates, thanx.

I'll need to lower the engine/tranny to loosen housing bolts, so will it be easier to pull out/put in as a combo?

Should I be swaping in new crank sensor or cam sensor, or both?

Oil sensor too?

BTW, who has a spare Gen2 intake laying around?

Gen 2 intake is trash and a half. The Gen 1 intake is far superrior. Replace all you can, cam, crank sensor, knock sensors..etc. Might as well while its out. You can drop it from the bottom or through the top. I can do them either way in about the same time frame.​

empty_jpg.jpg

engine2_jpg.jpg

engine2b_jpg.jpg

enginebay1.jpg

enginebay3.jpg

deadman.jpg

What he said!
the intake is junk.

I took my motor out through the top, it wasnt that bad. The only thing to really watch out for when doing it that way, is watch the lines off the master cylinder, dont break them.. it sucks! trust me

Where is there a pdf file of the manual?

Thanx Geno

Which is best pull tranny/engine combo or unbolt bellhousing?
I don't need to chg. tranny.

BTW, how-to seperate fuel lines. Never done these connectors. I guess how-to reconnect too.

Are there upgrades for valvecover and exhaust gaskets?

8up said:
Where is there a pdf file of the manual?

Thanx Geno

Which is best pull tranny/engine combo or unbolt bellhousing?
I don't need to chg. tranny.

BTW, how-to seperate fuel lines. Never done these connectors. I guess how-to reconnect too.

Are there upgrades for valvecover and exhaust gaskets?

dont pull the tranny if you dont have to its just a waste of extra time. on the gaskets you want to use fel-pro or just go back to ford parts on that stuff. on the intake...I would find a like 96-98 cobra intake or the genII intake the design of the was alot better and for fyi the gen2 has 305 hp and the gen 1 only had 280 hp so you do the math most of the gain was in intake design, and air/fuel delivery they changed the injectors in genII and some other mod from gen1 to gen2 not to mention the individual coilpacks over each cyl where in gen1 we get a lot of crossfire if you dont wire your plug wires right

93 mark engine

I've got a '93 Mark VIII with only 52,000 miles it anyone is interested! I'm looking to get rid of it right away.

Brendan

Hey i was thinking about doing the same thing....my question is do u have to get the wire harness and computer from a 93 also or can u keep the computer and wires from your 95????

Members online

Back