engine swap 96 cobra to mark viii

cinz4064

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell me the difference between the stock mark viii engine from a 96 and a cobra of the same year my mark is dying and lms is gonna replace it with the cobra i wanna know what i will be gaining if anything thanks

Lets see....

If you took the motor straight out of the Cobra and dropped it in the Mark.

Different Intake
Cams Timed Slightly Differently
Different Exhuast Manifolds
Different Oil Pan
Flywheel
Valve covers if you have a Gen 2
IMRC Controller if you have a Gen 1

That is all I can think of... not really much of a horsepower gain except for the intake.

The Cobra has a different oil pressure sending unit and oil filter adapter as well as flywheel & oil pan.

Use your intake and all other components and you will have a clean swap.

The 96-98 Cobra cams are the most aggressive stock DOHC cams, you will gain around 10rwhp on the top end over the Mark cams. The Cobra crank is also forged vs. cast on the Mark VIII, which is actually worse cause it's heavier. The Cobra also came with Beehive valvesprings which the 93-95 Mark VIII didn't have.

Wrong about the cams making 10 more rear wheel horsepower? I've seen it with my own eyes. My friend with a 03 Mach 1 swapped to 98 Cobra intake cams and gained 10rwhp in the upper rpm with no other changes. He went from 305rwhp to 316... The Mach 1 cams are almost the same as the Mark VIII cams.

The A/f ratio and the ambiant temp were about the same as well... so you can either believe me or not, I just tell you what I know...

The A/f ratio and the ambiant temp were about the same as well.....

There is "alittle" more to the equation than "ambient" temp.

Consider the density altitude on two different days.
Around here you could make a dyo pull at 8am and lose 10HP by noon.

I understand you "see" this with your own eyes, but without "all" the data your "eyes" can deceive you.

Also different dyno's easy have 10HP differences and the SAME DYNO on the same day could have a 10HP variance due to how the "operator" sets up the "correction" factor.

I could take your tune, pull 10 degree's of global timing then re-dyno your car and show you a 10HP INCREASE with less timing.

Unlike dragtrips, DYNO's LIE and are only as "honest" as the operator.

it would be a crate motor from ford and they want to use the intake and exaust from my stock motor should i find an intake from a cobra of that year

it would be a crate motor from ford and they want to use the intake and exaust from my stock motor should i find an intake from a cobra of that year

If all you want is to get your car running no... if you want an increase in performance and have the money why not. If it is a second gen the cobra intake swap is easy, first gen not so much.

I thought I'd share this:

96-98 Cobra Cam Specs:
Intake: Primary Lobe 196 duration (at .050)/ 390 lift
Secondary Lobe 206 duration (at .050)/ 390 lift
Exhaust: 196 duration / 390 lift (at .050)
114° LCs

99/01 Cobra Cam Specs:
Intake: 194 duration (at .050) / 392 lift
Exhaust: 194 duration (at .050)/ 390 lift
114° LCs

Mach 1, 03/04 Cobra, Aviator, Marauder, 93-98 Mark VIII, Navigator.
Intake: 184 deg @ .050"/0.394" lift
Exhaust: 196 deg @ .050 / .394" lift
114° LCs

FR500 Cams
lift, .472 “ [12mm] both intake and exhaust
intake duration adv 258, 212@.050
exhaust duration adv 254, 208@.050
109° LCs

2000 Cobra R:
intake: 212 dur@.050/.510
exhaust: 212 dur@.050 /.474

I thought Aviator Exhaust cams where the most aggressive on the Exhaust side...how could it be if it's the same as our Marks?

I thought Aviator Exhaust cams where the most aggressive on the Exhaust side...how could it be if it's the same as our Marks?

because alot of people post things that aren't true..

they assume things like.. i
t's a 04 aviator, so it has to be "better" than our mark 8's..

when the data clearly shows there is very very little difference between ANY of the cams until you get into the Cobra R 5.4 or the For GT cams.

Members online

No members online now.
Back