Engine Swap 4.6 or 5.4

2003lsv8

LVC Member
Reaction score
First of I would like to say hey to everyone I am new to the forums....I have been searching all over for information on engine swaps..... have any of yall heard of the 4.6 Mustang swap being done by everyday average people. I know it's not common but it has been done. Just wanted a little feedback on what some of the more technical experienced people would estimate all that would be involved.

Because of the electronics involved it would seem that a 4.6 or 5.4 swap would result in a car that could not pass emissions in most states or use any factory gauges/accessories.

If you are looking to build a full-on race car you will have no problems.

The 3.9 makes nearly as much power as most run-of-the-mill 4.6s. A rear-mount turbo would probably not be that extraordinarily difficult to plumb and there are already ECU tuners that can handle that part of things. That might be a better bet.

I'm looking to build a race car and was originally considering a 4.6 swap. In the long run that may still be where I go, but I am now considering a 5spd swap on the 3.9 and a rear-mount turbo just to get the car to a point where I can test to see if it's really what I want.

Yeah I also wanted to explore the rear twin turbo set up for the ls especially after I had already seen the DYNO proven results from the Bully Dog kit for the Mustang GT's at just 4psi the car was putting down more than 350 hp. I was very impressed and really wanted something similar for my daily driver.:D

First of I would like to say hey to everyone I am new to the forums....I have been searching all over for information on engine swaps..... have any of yall heard of the 4.6 Mustang swap being done by everyday average people. I know it's not common but it has been done. Just wanted a little feedback on what some of the more technical experienced people would estimate all that would be involved.

Doable? Yes... Doable by everyday average people? No... A skilled speed shop that is not afraid of custom work would be able to handle it, but it would not be cheap.

I know I can just imagine how much it would cost to do someting similar like the Lincoln LS 1 Lap around America Car. Now that is a nice beast 4.6 Supercharged Roush Stage III engine set-up :eek: What a wet dream:D

I know I can just imagine how much it would cost to do someting similar like the Lincoln LS 1 Lap around America Car. Now that is a nice beast 4.6 Supercharged Roush Stage III engine set-up :eek: What a wet dream:D
It's also a full-on race car, not a streetable car. They wound up running two PCMs (one to control the drivetrain and one to control the rest of the LS's electronics), and they never did get everything working...

Members online

Back