Engine stalls

rs2600

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, new here with a new (for me) Lincoln VIII. Great car but I have 2 issues:
1. Car sometimes stalls when I come to a stop. I starts right up again after putting it in neutral and drives fine. Next stop, nothing, keeps on running. A couple of stops later, stops again and starts right up. Any ideas?
2. Cruise not working, pressing "ON" but nothing happens. Fuses seems ok, where to start?

Have you checked the condition of your vacuum lines? Also check the little rubber elbow that goes on the air tube by the passenger side valve cover. Ive had those cause random stalling too..

As for the cc has the recall been done?
If not do it.
If it has been done in have had to replace 2 recalled switches.

1. IAC, how do I check that? ?

its hard to test directly sometimes.

if you unplug it and the idle changes/the car dies, its probably good.
if you unplug it and nothing happens, its probably bad.

does the car have a high idle upon cold start?

its hard to test directly sometimes.

if you unplug it and the idle changes/the car dies, its probably good.
if you unplug it and nothing happens, its probably bad.

does the car have a high idle upon cold start?

Just briefly, after a short while down to normal let's say 10-15 sec

not sure if you have the known issue with the cruise control repaired properly, but when was the last time you replaced the crank sensor? I ask because I had an issue with stalling sporadically and replacing the crank sensor solved it. And it could be considered a wear item, like spark plugs or plug wires (gen one).

Check the condition of your throttle body gasket. I had a similar problem where I would start it fine, but almost without fail the first time you came to a stop after putting it in drive it would stall. Turns out half the gasket was missing. Replaced it and that stopped occuring

In front of the passenger wheel
Rock Auto has the replacement parts too.

CruiseDeactivationSwitch.jpg

Not sure. part was cheap so I just shaped in a new one.

Isn't the cc light on the instrument cluster supposed to light up when ignition is turned on and the go out after a few seconds as all other warning lights does?
Mine never comes up and it doesn't light up when pressing "on/set" either.

There isn't one on a gen 1 and on gen 2 it doesn't light up with ignition on.

So it should come on when pressing the "on" button or "on and set"? Either way it dosen't come on at all no matter what I press when driving. Just to be clear , mine is a gen 2

Members online

No members online now.
Back