Engine Splash Guard

nghtshd88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My underbody engine shield broke recently while driving.. looking for a replacement and cant find one. Part # is obsolete at the dealer and every yard ive called no longer has an Ls. 6W43-17B635-AA found two on ebay but they are $100 and the seller is MIA. To top it off my rear wheel bearings (Timken) went out a few months after replacement. Looking to get this car back together one last time and get into somethintg new.

How bad did the shield break? Was it just at the bolt holes? If so... you could use some fender washers and the original bolts/screws... to clamp it in place.

If you really want a replacement shield... go to car-part.com and do a search.

If nothing else that site might help you find some more obscure local junkyards, (that you didn't know about), that might have a used shield.

Are you using wheels with a high offset. That can prematurely eat wheel bearings.

Most Timken bearings are now made in China. Not sure about SKF... but they always seemed to be the better bearing over Timken.

Did you ever get your rear brake issue figured out?

It cracked in half and shredded to pieces.. got one for $75 luckily. SKF I believe also is. I have stock everything but the jag shocks up front.

As far as the engine splash shield goes, I empathize with you, it took me 3+ years and looked at 29 LS's to find, a couple of months ago, a really good one for about $20 one at Harry's. The previous owner of our LS must have run over a truck retread and it took out all of the under car plastic and cracked both bumpers. The only thing I haven't found now is the front bumper extension, it seems everyone who has owned these cars has run into a parking lot block at least once. If you are in North or Central NJ you may want to check out Harry's of Allentown PA (wegotused.com) for other parts, they currently have 6 LS's n the inventory.

Have an LSE bumper not sure if that makes a big difference aero wise but wow does this car handle awful without this piece on at highway speeds.

Another post on here mentions the screws to be 1/4" which is wrong unless you want to round them down.. the screws that hold the shield on are 5.5mm or 7/32.. hoping to find a few that arent as rusty so I dont run into a problem next time around if there is one.

With the shield back on the handling is now stable able again.

Is that to say you are offering a LSE bumper, or just that you were driving around without it? I think you answered your question about aerodynamics. My late son wanted an LSE front bumper for ours, but the only one I've come across was missing it's right 1/3. Maybe you can answer me this, are the LSE's and '06's front bumpers the same or does the LSE have larger driving lights? All new Ford products have been metric since the intro of the Pinto in 1970, anyone in this part of the country that uses an imperial wrench or socket is going to 'round' the head or nut. 5.5mm is the smallest socket I carry and it is almost permanently attached to a small ratchet from my sons SK tool set, just for LS inner fenders and splash shields.

It took me 2yrs to find this OEM bumper which was $900 freshly painted black on ebay. I even bought laminx for it. The fog light brackets are even more rare and obsolete. Luckily I got a pair for free.. led fog lights were avail for $99. I believe the wire harness has to be modified if I recall.

Unfortunately a piece of drywall flew off a truck and impaled the lower grille which was hanging on by a tab. Missed the radiator. So I finished it off and made a custom mesh grille to replace it for now. With a some crafty repair work you could put the grille back but I did not feel like taking the bumper off.. Not sure how much help the fins of the grille were aero wise but with the engine shield missing I would never attempt to drive it again. Highly unstable over 40-50mph..

If I ditch the car anytime soon I will sell the LSE bumper.

I have a hard time believing the engine shield affects handling at all much less that drastically, Ill have to take it off just to see what happens, LOL

I have a hard time believing the engine shield affects handling at all much less that drastically, Ill have to take it off just to see what happens, LOL
New cars these days have a smooth plastic underbody cover just for aerodynamics. It's probably a minimal difference at the most

New cars these days have a smooth plastic underbody cover just for aerodynamics.

And besides the engine splash shield... the LS also has a (mostly) flat aluminum shield for the driveshaft tunnel... and the fuel tank tucked up under the rear seat... and a flat bottom trunk.

Members online

Back