Engine shutting off?

loveLSE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone's LS engine die on it's own?
I had it happen to me few times.
It's usually happen right after hard braking.
maybe hard braking is using up too much electric.
just wondering if it's LS problem or my problem...

My car was berthed at the Lincoln dealer for 120 day with this problem. They replaced two fuel pumps first which did not fix then they followed up with a replacement of the rear electronic module, aka REM.

Sounds like an intermittant electrical problem that affects the engine control computer or could be some other electrical systems. Fuel system and ignition are good suspects.

These types of problems can be a real PITA to localize. Fixing is not usually difficult but finding them...

I would pick a shop that specializes in finding electrical problems and have them go thru it. DO you get any engine error codes? Is the check engine light on or has it flashed?

Do all the electrics(radio lights etc) die when your engine dies or do they at least cut in and out? Driving a bumpy road might help cause the problem show up more frequently so you can check things.

If you can get a good wiring diagram you might try to trace down the main cabling systems and wiggle them while the engine is running. I would especially check where the cables go thru a hole(burn marks or smells are a clue) in something and the connectors or where it has a lot of free movement.

Unless you get some engine codes, and or lots of luck, this will be no fun to track down on your own.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

10 dollars to a doughtnut it just shuts down without any sort of notice and does not throw a DTC. takes about 2 minutes +/- to restart. I usually had problem in the begining at stop lights just like you then it progressed to the point where it would shutdown while driving at any speed city or hwy.

The console lights will light up just like you have the key on with engine off. I never had any accsy problems. The engine just dropped out cold like a snipper hitting a target in the back of the neck.

This problem has been around for a while, with no known remedies. It occurred to me while autocrossing the car. Would come to an abrubt stop while turning at the end of every run. Died every time.

Yeah I can remember way bay to jan 01 when I bought my 00 shortly afterwards I had started participating in an LS club and a larger autmotive forum and it was probably no later than end of summer or fall of 01 that I had began hearing about the shutdown issue.

It is my understanding as well that thier is no ahhh haaa got it moment for this problem. I did not start having the problem until Summmer of last year. The problem started happening in May and on June 01, 2004 I took my car to the dealer. I had a short 1 day reunion with my car in July and it still did it so I took it back and did not get it back again till September.

El Es wins the $10!
It only happen to me few times so Im not too worried unless this keeps on happening while driving. since this happens while Im stopping, its not a huge problem yet. unlike el es, mine starts right up. I just pop it in N and start her up again and she's ready to go.
I just hope this doesnt progress into something.
It would ber really dangerous to have this happen while driving.

loveLSE said:
El Es wins the $10!
It only happen to me few times so Im not too worried unless this keeps on happening while driving. since this happens while Im stopping, its not a huge problem yet. unlike el es, mine starts right up. I just pop it in N and start her up again and she's ready to go.
I just hope this doesnt progress into something.
It would ber really dangerous to have this happen while driving.

cha-ching. Yeah after having pulled over a few too many times to restart I just decided to begin perfecting the rolling start. The problem became too bad to operate the vehicle so I decided it was time to stop risking my life at stop lights and off ramps. I had a few near collisions one really close one the day they gave it back to me "repaired". Two sport utes traveling at a high rate of speed nearly slammed in to me from the rear at a light on a bend.

After I got the car started and off the road I called the dealer and with a few choice words, had the car towed back up from sarasota to tampa. My wife drove down to pick me up. They kept the car for a little over 30 days and it has run perfectly since then.

I wonder if i could be a TPS (Throttle Position sensor) cause it dies when you go to stop when you foot is off the gas maybe the sensor isn't working correctly or timing sensor not sure what all or if this car has these but these were a couple of things that happened to my dodge that caused it to die when i would pull up to a stop sign.

There were some folks on edmunds.com that went through this and the solution seemed to be different in the few cases I followed. I have been there in a long time so thier problem could have returned or they might have had a successful repair like I ultimately ended up with.

Wish I would have retained more info on them.

eL eS said:
I did not start having the problem until Summmer of last year. The problem started happening in May and on June 01, 2004 I took my car to the dealer. I had a short 1 day reunion with my car in July and it still did it so I took it back and did not get it back again till September.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Holy crap El! You have the patience of Job! Or maybe you spent all those weeks with your wife chasing you again... :dancefool

On a somewhat similar note, my parents had a Suburban ( I have GOT to learn to quit swearing on these forums!!) that would just up and die with no warning whatsoever. It could happen at any time or any place...and it would only happen about once every three months. Strangest thing I ever fought. I finally replaced the ECM and it went for several months without a problem. Then it came back. So I knew I was on the right track. I installed yet another ECM and had the old one sent in to engineering to be looked at. Turns out it was losing an injector driver. So I replaced the injectors. Still came back. We never did figure out what was causing it...we could only prolong it for a while.

Our LS has done this a few times to us at stoplights and then starts right back up. My wife gets really nervous though when it happens at nighttime with our baby.
This happened before with my T-bird Supercoupe which turned out to be the DIS module. If I remember right there was one that controlled it at start ups and one that controlled it running? Then our Mazda 626 would do this and it turned out to be the distributor.

Do you think these could be the issue(s) on our 00 V6 LS?
Thanks

Oh where or where has our El Es gone, Oh where or where could he be???

Darnit...in import land. Could be many things. Maybe that common PCV hose causing a vacuum leak or something simple like that...although a pain to get to.

ahh.. hes with the g35 club. I dont blame him. After 5 years I think he needed a brake. I have 8 months with my LS and I plan to replace or buy a jaguar s type r, around 2008.

lexdiamondz10304 said:
ahh.. hes with the g35 club. I dont blame him. After 5 years I think he needed a brake. I have 8 months with my LS and I plan to replace or buy a jaguar s type r, around 2008.

I hear ya.

Engine Shuts off Fond the answer

Quinton said:
Our LS has done this a few times to us at stoplights and then starts right back up. My wife gets really nervous though when it happens at nighttime with our baby.
This happened before with my T-bird Supercoupe which turned out to be the DIS module. If I remember right there was one that controlled it at start ups and one that controlled it running? Then our Mazda 626 would do this and it turned out to be the distributor.

Do you think these could be the issue(s) on our 00 V6 LS?
Thanks[/QUOTE

I found the answer. My Lincoln was shutting off at every light, and stop sign.

Take off the manifold

Take off the gaskets ( NEED TO REPLACE)

Take off the injectore housing (DO not remove injecters)

Take off the gaskets under the injecter housing ( Need to replace)

Under all this is in the middle of the block is a little box that has a 3 inch rubber hose conected to a steel hose that is connected and runs to the throttle body. Under that 3 inch rubber hose you'll find a big hole, replace that rubber hose. Also replace the hose that runs from the steel pipe to the throttle body.

Dont try taking the box out because you cant just replace the hose.

sounds like the pcv issue that's been posted a couple times

Lincoln Helper said:
I finally got the answer

So it was the PCV hose I mentioned then?? I haven't torn into a v6 model, but your description sounds like it.

Good job.

Hey I had the same problem with it shutting off if I hit the brakes hard and stuff but mine was because the tranny was low on fluid!!?? I added some tranny fluid and problem solved dont no really why it would do this ? but i know I doesnt know that I fixed it

Members online

No members online now.
Back