Engine pulling advice and poll

Would you pull out the engine

• WITH trans attached (leaning this way)

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Separately

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

JaredI

LVC Member
Reaction score
Going to be pulling an engine, would you guys do it with the trans attached or not?

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks!

I guess a big deciding factor would be if you are pulling it out of the bottom or not. if you cant and have to pull it out of the top, then there is no way I would try with the trans still attached.

More positioning work to get the whole thing out the bottom but less removal work. Since the car was designed to have the powertrain come out the bottom, that's the way to go. Trying to line up an engine and trans seperately and marry them in the car is a massive load of frustration. Do it the right way. You'll be glad you did.

KS

More positioning work to get the whole thing out the bottom but less removal work. Since the car was designed to have the powertrain come out the bottom, that's the way to go. Trying to line up an engine and trans seperately and marry them in the car is a massive load of frustration. Do it the right way. You'll be glad you did.

KS

I don’t have a lift so I think that may eliminate any chance of bringing it out the bottom unless someone has a creative solution there...

When I yanked the motor out of my Camaro (a few times) it was a lot easier with the trans attached. I got everything loose and jacked up the rear end of the car and then used a load leveler and cherry picker to maneuver it out and back in. It was pretty simple after the third time.

These aren't too much like camaros. You may or may not be able to pull the engine out of the top, but I have heard that it is possible. The drop out the bottom method allows you to take down the engine, transmission, most of the front suspension, and the whole front end of the cooling system, meaning the radiator and condenser. Pulling the radiator would be required, if not dropping the whole assembly, to avoid striking it with the engine, I would guess. That alone can be painful, if you have a gen 1 with hydraulic fan. If you can do this, great!

These aren't too much like camaros. You may or may not be able to pull the engine out of the top, but I have heard that it is possible. The drop out the bottom method allows you to take down the engine, transmission, most of the front suspension, and the whole front end of the cooling system, meaning the radiator and condenser. Pulling the radiator would be required, if not dropping the whole assembly, to avoid striking it with the engine, I would guess. That alone can be painful, if you have a gen 1 with hydraulic fan. If you can do this, great!
Dropping it out the bottom sounds fine to me in theory but I just don’t know how to do it without a lift. I have a jack and jack stands and a cherry picker....

Dropping it out the bottom sounds fine to me in theory but I just don’t know how to do it without a lift. I have a jack and jack stands and a cherry picker....

That is all the equipment I had. I'd never done anything approaching this magnitude on a car before. I had the DVD to follow and I did. Though it says take it out the bottom I ignored that part and just made sure I had disconnected everything. And I pulled it all out thru the hood. I did damage an AC line and the PS hi pressure line on the way out but they were easy and fairly cheap fixes. So if I can do it it can be done.
But caveat - mine is a V6 manual transmission.

I have seen a motor dropped out the bottom many times with what you have.

place a pallet or roller cart under the front.

lower the car on to it, and unbolt everything for the subframe.

then use a cherry picket to lift the front of the car up over the assembly and push or slide the pallet or roller cart out of the way.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back