Engine load question

mmtphoto

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 96 Gen I Mark with OBD2 and have a Davis Drive Right Chip that I just put on it for a long trip I took over the past weekend. This chip allows you to monitor up to 4 of about 27 different perimeters including things like engine speed, temp, intake pressure, TPS, O2 sensors and - engine load. I also have a acton 9145 scanner and just hooked it up because I got graphs that I couldn't believe after downloading the chip data-engine load on the Mark is like 30% at idle, goes up to 80 or 90% with light acceleration-on other cars I have, after warm-up, most show load readings around 5-8% at idle, and rarely do I see readings above 50-60%. I turned off all accesories like AC, it has no engine noises (water pump. pullies, alternator quiet)-I am wondering, does anyone know if this could be related to my trans?
I did the 1-2 shift accumulator change when I bought it back in September 06 and drained all the fluid including the torque converter, replaced with Mercon 5, but it still takes a long time to shift into 2ed. There are no codes, and it runs pretty good, is quick and gets decent gas mileage (16-17 around town, 23 highway. If I don't get on it from a stop, it shifts ok, but if I come off the line hard, I have to back off the throttle to get it to shift into second-torque converter? Any ideas? thanks

does anyone else out there ever hook up a scanner to get readings like MAF, TPS, Intake pressure, O2-1 + O2-2, short term and long term fuel trim, etc while driving?

does anyone else out there ever hook up a scanner to get readings like MAF, TPS, Intake pressure, O2-1 + O2-2, short term and long term fuel trim, etc while driving?

On my EEC-IV 95 mark 8 I use a Snap on MT2500 scanner to view alot of stuff while driving.

RPM
o2's
ECT
AIT
MAF voltage
and short term fuel trims along with the shift solenids etc...

It's not a bad tool, but compared to the actron scanner it "aint cheap" in regards to price.
But it's almost the "only" solution for an EEC IV car, whereas the obd2 cars have ALOT more options for datalogging PIDS

i am going to remove the chip and see if I get different readings on engine load, but if anyone out there has a scanner that measures engine load, I'd appreciate it if you plugged it in to see if you are getting readings over 30% at idle-I am getting 42-44% with the air conditioner running!-Something must be wrong, that makes no sense.

found out that generic scanned OBDII PID values for Load % at hot idle are 28 to 35%, and at 2500 rpm it is19 to 24 %- on a mark 8-that means it is normal, I am just amazed that there is that much of a load on these engines at idle-I do not get such reading from most of the other vehicles that I work on, they are usually quite low. Lots of cams, higher output alternator and electrical requirements, systems must account for that, recipricating mass, trans all must be a (more)significant load than other vehicles, but I have an 2002 Aurora with a 4.0, 4 cam, lots of electrical and mechanical loads also, it is much lower-6 to 8 percent at hot idle (observed). Why would it be so much higher on a 4.6?

Members online

No members online now.
Back