engine freshening suggestions

gadget73

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm to be picking up a Mark 7 tomorrow for the engine, and I'd like to freshen it up a bit before it hits my Town Car. It has 123k on it, and runs very well. I was figuring on an oil pump, main bearings, front and rear crank seals, and the valve covers. I'll also take care of any other oil leaks I may find on this thing. Possibly a timing chain set as well if its worn since I'll have the front cover off to do the seal. The engine is a late 80s HO. Anyone have any more suggestions of things I should take care of before putting it in?

Depending on what you want to spend maybe a cam. Since you have the oil pan off, I'd at least look at the main and rod bearings. The Motorsport 214/224 duration cam is very good. I used that same cam in my 351 with the stock valve train, with new lifters. good solid cam, good idle, good vacuum and bottom end.

It is my understanding that unless you have mass air that doing a cam won't be all that beneficial to you with an older fuel injection setup. Mark VII's didn't have mass air and I don't know when Towncars got it.

If you check the rod mains, make sure you look at the upper half of the bearing. That is where most of the wear occurs. If you going that far you might as well change then too. IMO

Drnaline said:
If you check the rod mains, make sure you look at the upper half of the bearing. That is where most of the wear occurs. If you going that far you might as well change then too. IMO

:iconcur:

I've had rod bearings that were already knocking on two rods on the back of a 460. Replaced them and drove it for another two years or about 30 miles then sold it, who knows how long it ran after that? It was in a 1970 f100 shortbox.

Members online

Back