Engine dies while driving

Broseph

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Been awhile, but I've been fortunate with no recent issues until now. My wife called panicking that the car died while she was driving. It's an 02 V8

I had this happen a few months ago but no issue since, so chalked it up as a fluke. My case, I had slowed down into a turn and coming out of it the car just died, ELECTRONICS are good. Put it in park and fired right up.

Wife was driving and while cruising 35ish it did the same thing and fired right back up.

No sluggish acceleration or engine lights so I think coils are good (replaced 4 years, 15k miles ago with Accels) but this random dying is scary.

I had many issues with this a few years ago while chasing a lean condition but I used an aftermarket MAF since the OEM was cracked at the screws. Along with 02 sensors, I Switched it back with the OEM and was good.

Question is, can a failing MAF cause the car to suddenly die at random times (lower speed and rpm) with no codes or warning like stalling/bucking to accompany it.

Outside of this, I'm not sure what it could be. Thoughts?

Been awhile, but I've been fortunate with no recent issues until now. My wife called panicking that the car died while she was driving. It's an 02 V8

I had this happen a few months ago but no issue since, so chalked it up as a fluke. My case, I had slowed down into a turn and coming out of it the car just died, ELECTRONICS are good. Put it in park and fired right up.

Wife was driving and while cruising 35ish it did the same thing and fired right back up.

No sluggish acceleration or engine lights so I think coils are good (replaced 4 years, 15k miles ago with Accels) but this random dying is scary.

I had many issues with this a few years ago while chasing a lean condition but I used an aftermarket MAF since the OEM was cracked at the screws. Along with 02 sensors, I Switched it back with the OEM and was good.

Question is, can a failing MAF cause the car to suddenly die at random times (lower speed and rpm) with no codes or warning like stalling/bucking to accompany it.

Outside of this, I'm not sure what it could be. Thoughts?
When was the last time you checked fuel pump and filter?

When was the last time you checked fuel pump and filter?

Ah, good question. I forgot to mention that I had replaced the fuel filter, pump and jet not too long ago. I believe it was in 2013, and have been pretty low on the mileage from that point.

Ah, good question. I forgot to mention that I had replaced the fuel filter, pump and jet not too long ago. I believe it was in 2013, and have been pretty low on the mileage from that point.

What brand was the replacement fuel pump?

What brand was the replacement fuel pump?

Walbro. Can't remember which model , but I did it using the same one that another forum member used in their write up several years ago.

Members online

No members online now.
Back