Engine coolant color and brand

kcam67

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Guys, I just got done changing out my DCCV module and swapped out anew belt since I got most the front end tore off. I've got an 06 Gen II V8 and the manual says to use Motorcraft or equivalent brand coolant (yellow color) when refilling. I went to autoparts store and the tech guy points me to this brand called Zerex G-05 50/50 but the color is orange. Not sure if I should use it. Anyone here refilled their coolant with different color?

Guys, I just got done changing out my DCCV module and swapped out anew belt since I got most the front end tore off. I've got an 06 Gen II V8 and the manual says to use Motorcraft or equivalent brand coolant (yellow color) when refilling. I went to autoparts store and the tech guy points me to this brand called Zerex G-05 50/50 but the color is orange. Not sure if I should use it. Anyone here refilled their coolant with different color?

DO NOT USE THAT ORANGE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe the green Prestone is compatible. Just go to Prestone's web site and see if it meets Ford's requirement.

Man, this is getting to be a PITA, refilling coolant shouldn't be rocket science but it seems like I'm too dumb to realize what I'm doing. I've been to three different auto parts stores, Autozone, Murray's and Advanced Auto, and I've been told differently by three so called 'experts'. Not sure who to ask anymore.

As long as it's propylene glycol I don't think it really matters. Just use the same color that it was when you drained it out. It doesn't matter if it's non-mixed or pre-mixed, really just a preference. I prefer the pre-mixed.

Well, the brand that the 'experts' at Murray's auto part swears that the Zerex G-05 Formula 50/50 is the safe one to use with my 06 V8 LS. You say that as long as it has propylene glycol, and I'm ok. This Zerex has ethylene glycol, water, diethylene glycol, sodium tetraborate, sodium benzoate. Nothing that says propylene glycol. Most of them on the shelf has the same ingredients.

Well, the brand that the 'experts' at Murray's auto part swears that the Zerex G-05 Formula 50/50 is the safe one to use with my 06 V8 LS. You say that as long as it has propylene glycol, and I'm ok. This Zerex has ethylene glycol, water, diethylene glycol, sodium tetraborate, sodium benzoate. Nothing that says propylene glycol. Most of them on the shelf has the same ingredients.

In the alldata it just says to fill it with the same color. It gives you P/Ns and names but its motorcraft specific stuff you more than likely won't find in your parts store. As long as it's the same color as your old stuff you should be fine.

In the alldata it just says to fill it with the same color. It gives you P/Ns and names but its motorcraft specific stuff you more than likely won't find in your parts store. As long as it's the same color as your old stuff you should be fine.

I hear ya! Just to be on the safe side, I'm gonna take it to the stealership to do a full flush. I don't want anything to compromise my engine. I really don't wanna guess since to do it correctly, you have to do a full flush anyway. I'm going to be driving this vehicle for at least another 30-40k miles. Thanks for your advice guys.

Open Wallet!

did you know: Almost clear "fits all" type coolant which is known as "vanilla" is now available as well.

You guys make me laugh:D It's this kinds stuff that makes forum like this enjoyable, even if you had a $hiat day like mine, driving around in circles looking for an answer to something this simple. Anyway, I'm heading to Ford parts tomoroow to pick up Motorcraft coolant and be done with it. Thanks again guys for your inputs.

No problem, glad to help. I always try to go to the stealership for things like flushes. They should be a little more familiar with your vehicle type compared with your standard jiffy lube.

motorcraft-coolant.jpg

motorcraft-coolant.jpg

Ok, I did go to the dealership yesterday to ask about a full flush and had a long conversation with mechanic and he basically told me some good and bad that goes with a full flush, mostly bad. It was enough for me to reconsider doing that. The bad mainly being that my vehicle already had 75K on it and by doing a full flush, it could end up causing small leaks in seals because age of vehicle. He said best thing to do is buy a gallon of the concentrated Motorcraft Gold coolant and refill it and that's what I ended up doing. I also just ran across a new thread this morning and thank god I didn't do it:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?90245-Stupid-me-and-dealership!-Norcal

If a cooling component is going to leak, it will either way, especially on a high age/mileage LS.

... The bad mainly being that my vehicle already had 75K on it and by doing a full flush, it could end up causing small leaks in seals because age of vehicle. ...

You need to find a better dealership. That guy doesn't know what he is talking about or isn't doing the flush correctly. Done correctly, the pressure never exceeds the normal operating pressure. Your plastic cooling system parts are going to fail soon no matter what you do. It's a known issue with these cars. Changing/flushing the coolant can only help, not harm.

Members online

Back