Engine cleaning

nsjuice

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
What is the correct way to water spray the engine compartment?

I know it's a distributor-less engine, but what do I need to be aware of before hosing it down? I don't plan on using any solvents, just water.

Just want to make sure I don't cause any dilemmas while doing so.

thanks.

What year?

I like to use a less harsh cleaner like Simple Green due to the amount of Aluminum in our engine compartment a caustic cleaner will leave every chalky...

Here is what I do:

Spray down the entire engine to remove all the loose crud and dirt
Liberally apply the simple green and let is soak for 5 min
Scrub everything with various brushes and scrapers if things are really dirty

Repeat above steps until satisfied with cleanliness

Then I pop off the COP covers and remove all 8 coils form the engine, I also pull the front panel cover, the one that says MARK VIII on the second gen.
I Then use my leaf blower to thoroughly dry everything
After that I take the air compressor and spray out the alternator and the plug wells to be double sure the water is gone.
From that point on I wax and apply various dressings until I am happy with the results.

I like to use tire foam. Watch the foam around the coolant cross over pipe, as it will crack/eat the paint, printed lettering and part number stickers, as the cleaner with lift the adhesive. The rest of the engine bay, metal, wire looms and paint looks great!

Easy to use and you don't have to wipe it off. I like to wipe it down for an over all detailed look. I have had a few nasty wire looms full of dirt and road grime that had cleaned up real nice after a few treatments of water hose and tire foam.

+1 for simple green.. and I dont spray the alternator at all.

I take it to the high pressure car wash that is close by as to not get the engine HOT..
I spray about 1/3 a bottle of simple green on the motor..let soak for 5-10 min.

Then spray it off with the "low pressure spot free rinse", paying careful attention to overspray and direction of spray as to not get ANY water in the Alternator.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. It's time for a Smog check, and I want it to look decent for the visual inspection. Damn CA smog laws.

Thanks!

Hey, Juice...You're from my hometown...How's Sactown???...I heard things gotten hectic over there

Wdup Cobrastar, Hectic... depends what you mean. Sactown.. is still Sactown... When was the last you've been here? Surrounding areas have expanded... Especially a few years ago during the Real Estate Boom. .... and the aftermath, well... you know how that goes... it's the same everywhere.

Other htan that, I still love Sac. Used to live in Rancho, just moved back down to Southside- borderline Elk Grove.

916 throw it up!!!!! lol. ok, ok, back to work... the show's over.

-Ness

lol...i stayed all over Florin Rd., Stockton Blvd., and Power Inn...I miss being there...but this is back in mid 90's and early 2000's...I heard now there's shooting everywhere like crazy

Members online

No members online now.
Back