Engine (block)heater

Does anyone know what the wattage is on the LS block heater ? Or, if
you know how many amps it draws, I'll do the math. Thanks !

Does anyone know what the wattage is on the LS block heater ? Or, if
you know how many amps it draws, I'll do the math. Thanks !

I just use a blankie............

Who am I kidding!! Almost had to turn on the furnace this morning........ It was the upper 40's!!!!!!!

I *think* I saw 2000W somewhere.

It appears to use a standard NEMA plug. that would be rated for 15A max (1800W), however it is pretty rare to see them used for more than 10A (1200W). A block heater should require much less than that (500W is a wild guess for me)*. If you are trying to figure out what sort of outlet you need for one, I would go ahead and allow for 15A, just in case.

*: Nobody uses block heaters here, so I have no actual experience with this.

I have a cord for sale: :cool:
~ just saying!

I just use a blankie............!!

Everyone's a comedian...:rolleyes:

It appears to use a standard NEMA plug. that would be rated for 15A max (1800W), however it is pretty rare to see them used for more than 10A (1200W). A block heater should require much less than that (500W is a wild guess for me)*. If you are trying to figure out what sort of outlet you need for one, I would go ahead and allow for 15A, just in case.

*: Nobody uses block heaters here, so I have no actual experience with this.

My main reason for asking was because it began to pop my breaker over the week end, so, I thought
I had a short in the block heater. Turns out it's good. I have 19.9omhs, which is normal for this kind of
accessory. It also has never been used before.

I was then thinking it may be my extension cord was too long, causing the breaker to pop. Too long of an
extension cord, will cause the breaker to pop if it draws too much current. This is the reason why I was
curious as to how many watts it draws.

Time to replace extension cord....I may have found my culprit.

I have a cord for sale: :cool:
~ just saying!

Thanks for the offer BR, (even if you despise me...;)) but mine is brand new. I doubt it's faulty....but you never
know.

... I have 19.9omhs, which is normal for this kind of
accessory...

So, you already know the answer to your question.
Current (I) = Voltage(V) / Resistance(R).
I = 120/19.9 = 6 Amps
Power (P) = Voltage (V) * Current (I)
P = 120 * 6 = 720 Watts

Using a long extension cord with a resistive load (heating element) would not cause a current limit breaker to trip. The longer the cord, the more resistance added, so the less current drawn. (One exception would be if it were a motor load. If the cord dropped the voltage too much for the motor to start, then the prolonged starting current might cause the breaker to trip.) If the cord is the cause of the breaker tripping, then it has a short somewhere. If the breaker is a ground fault type or an arc fault type, then other possible causes exist as well. (If the house is not too old, then any exterior outlets must have ground fault protection.)

So, you already know the answer to your question.
Current (I) = Voltage(V) / Resistance(R).
I = 120/19.9 = 6 Amps
Power (P) = Voltage (V) * Current (I)
P = 120 * 6 = 720 Watts

Using a long extension cord with a resistive load (heating element) would not cause a current limit breaker to trip. The longer the cord, the more resistance added, so the less current drawn. (One exception would be if it were a motor load. If the cord dropped the voltage too much for the motor to start, then the prolonged starting current might cause the breaker to trip.) If the cord is the cause of the breaker tripping, then it has a short somewhere. If the breaker is a ground fault type or an arc fault type, then other possible causes exist as well. (If the house is not too old, then any exterior outlets must have ground fault protection.)

I've had both GFCI outlets and breakers that were defective and tripped too easily in my home. I think they've all been replaced by now.

It's worth looking into.

I found my culprit. Wasn't my extension cord from the house, but, the cord supplied with
the car. I discovered humidity entered the cord from the small holes in the plug itself on
the car side.
I checked for resistance and only found some on the Ford cord. Left it in the house for about
a week, and checked it again, and this time, it was good. Began using it again, only to trip my
breaker again about a week later after having had some snow fall. Removed cord, and checked
again, resistance appeared again on my meter.
Put it near the wood stove for a few days, and then began to examine the cord, when I noticed water
residue around those two tiny holes. Filled them with dielectric grease, and have been problem free for
many weeks now.

Just thought I'd post this if anyone else has ever had this problem, or, someone in the future faces this
situation. I know not too many people use the block heater, except for a few of us Northern folk.:rolleyes:

Below is a pic of the cord with the holes I speak of.

20150128_161151[1].jpg

20150128_161151[1].jpg

Last I read that cord is a 120$ item at the dealership.

BTW: I have one for sale still! LOL

Wasn't it just a computer cord with sideways pins?

This one, a C19: http://www.showmecables.com/product/Power-Cord-NEMA-5-15P-to-IEC-60320-C19-1-FT.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=44-109-001&zmam=49733141&zmac=5&zmas=1&zmap=44-109-001&gclid=CjwKEAiArqKmBRCOj_qfmuqinnYSJAAkAYwGOJeDhgywarcY0D4N-sQ9SNxH8gUtcL6OnydNhqEQcxoC28Lw_wcB

Googled "computer cord with sideways pins". Second result, third suggestion to an oddball Dell PSU. Maybe a special amperage rating?

Not trying to steal Rig's potential customer, but there's no such thing as a unique plug... Proprietary, sure, but a block heater in a Ford seems like an uneconomical item to go all Apple on it.

Kidding me? I'm gonna list it on eBay and set a reserve of at least 500$

it's a Fn Ford cord, it's the holder plugin in the grille that makes the cord so special.

which I already nixed out of my LS. drilled the awkward fasteners right out of the bumper and fished the remains out from behind. Stupid thing!

There wasn't actually ever a block heater on mine, just the empty cord receptacle in the grille.

Members online

No members online now.
Back