emissions

Jibit

Dearly Departed Friend
Reaction score
I have two questions:

First, does anyone one have a diagram for the sensors that are located on/near the gas tank for emissions. I finally figured out what happened! When I replaced the fuel pump, I (or should I say my muscle head brother-in-law) ripped the gas tank down along with everything that came with it. Well, when we went to put the tank back up we noticed a plastic part, I thought it was connected to the gas tank, cracked off of something with a line/hose going to it. I'm almost certain that's the problem.

Second question, is it possible to use a Gen1 computer on a Gen2 (with little effort)? The reason I'm asking is because when I replace the exhaust I don't want codes being thrown up for the O2 sensors because I've heard with the high flow cats the second set may not get hot enough. Since the Gen1 only has the one set of O2's, this wouldn't be a problem. Also, I think the Gen1's have less emissions equipment on them so my first problem may also become obsolete.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Your car is a 1997... They should only do OBD-II tests and not throw your car on the dyno. That means if you replace the engine computers, you will not pass.

CaptainZilog said:
Your car is a 1997... They should only do OBD-II tests and not throw your car on the dyno. That means if you replace the engine computers, you will not pass.
Why wouldn't I pass? They would just make sure the CE was functional and that there weren't any codes coming from it. My problem is that the sensors keep coming up as "not ready". Its possible that the sensors I'm having problems with wouldn't be on a Gen1. The only thing that they may catch me on is if the connections are different between the OBDI and OBDII.

Second question, is it possible to use a Gen1 computer on a Gen2 (with little effort)? The reason I'm asking is because when I replace the exhaust I don't want codes being thrown up for the O2 sensors because I've heard with the high flow cats the second set may not get hot enough. Since the Gen1 only has the one set of O2's, this wouldn't be a problem. Also, I think the Gen1's have less emissions equipment on them so my first problem may also become obsolete.

Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Ther is no need to change computers , you buy a performance chip for your computer , and ask to have the rear O2s eliminated in the program .... It is done all the time , and you will see some performace gains also..

Yeah, exactly. OBD-I isn't anywhere near as advanced as OBD-II. An OBD-II only scanner will crap its pants if you feed it an OBD-I signal. I guarantee that they will find out and give you a big ol' FAIL. OBD-I doesn't have the capabilities of OBD-II anyhow. Even if you could magically make the signal work, through the right port, if they try to query the car for anything that you don't have, like the second set of O2's, they would be able to smell something fishy was going on.

At that point you may as well slip the guy a hundo and call it a day, or get your car registered where there are no emissions.

CaptainZilog said:
OBD-I isn't anywhere near as advanced as OBD-II.
CaptainZilog said:
OBD-I doesn't have the capabilities of OBD-II anyhow.
That's exactly why I was thinking of making it an OBDI. I was told that the OBDII is far more severe than what the actual emissions test limits are. Also, I would have to worry about less components failing because it wouldn't throw the CE light. The only thing screwing this up is that the OBDII scanner that they use won't read the OBDI. But it would be really funny having them try to figure out why they can't read it!!! They can never find the connector to begin with!

You could try to make a fake signal thing. At that point though, like I said, just get the thing registered in a different county :)

If you put a GEN I computer in there, you will fail emissions and possibly be slapped with a fine if they figure out what you did. That's assuming the guy doing the test isn't brain dead, which is usually the case. ;)

Register your car elsewhere if fixing the gas tank problem is causing your engine to throw a code. :)

Jibit said:
I have two questions:

First, does anyone one have a diagram for the sensors that are located on/near the gas tank for emissions. I finally figured out what happened! When I replaced the fuel pump, I (or should I say my muscle head brother-in-law) ripped the gas tank down along with everything that came with it. Well, when we went to put the tank back up we noticed a plastic part, I thought it was connected to the gas tank, cracked off of something with a line/hose going to it. I'm almost certain that's the problem.
uhhmmm here's an idea, why not just fix the part you broke.....

edit: I meant that it seemed like you were trying to bastardize the emmisions system because you broke a sensor :D

Last edited:
JSev22 said:

edit: I meant that it seemed like you were trying to bastardize the emmisions system because you broke a sensor :D
Now that would be too easy! I wasn't actually going to do the swap but was interested if it was possible. I've been procrastinating because I have to install headers so I figure the exhaust has to come down to get to the fuel tank so I'll do them at the same time. I still don't know what I screwed up because I haven't seen a diagram of what emission sensor connects to the fuel tank.

The only emission item I can think of that connects to the gas tank is the evaporative canister.

CaptainZilog said:
The only emission item I can think of that connects to the gas tank is the evaporative canister.
What the H-E double hockey stick does it look like and where does it attach?

JSev22 said:

Didn't I say the same thing without being such a meanie???

:F :p

I don't know too much about Mark VIII's, but it should be a little box or cylinder with 2 lines and a solenoid coming off of it. It lets gas vapors go back into the tank for recycling. On my VII, it's in the front passenger side, up by the radiator. It's a little black rectangular box, with two hoses attached and a solenoid right by it.

since its OBDII cant you scan the code and wont that pin point it for you

what, that not english, jibit, look, if the vode says what's wrong, take that senor out n replcce it. i'm too drunk to type but that's the message

Dirty damn drinkers....:D

Aaaaw, I want egg nog so bad...

Hehe, if you guys only knew what happened last night, I think you'd look at the ol' Captain a bit differently...

What I meant was, if the thing's throwing a code, check out the code and if it refers to a sensor, see if it's putting out proper voltage, there are some tests you can do to any sensor. If it's bad, throw it far, get a new one. :)

CaptainZilog said:
What I meant was, if the thing's throwing a code, check out the code and if it refers to a sensor, see if it's putting out proper voltage, there are some tests you can do to any sensor. If it's bad, throw it far, get a new one. :)
That's the problem, its not throwing codes but at the same time I can't pass emissions because the sensors keep reading "not ready".

Now wait a minute. You or I didnt know about that part until the tank was down.And if I'm not mistaken you had a part in lowering the tank. :bash:

MarkedMan said:
Now wait a minute. You or I didnt know about that part until the tank was down.And if I'm not mistaken you had a part in lowering the tank. :bash:
Its about time you show up. All I'm saying is that we lowered the tank (BTW, I only recall holding the tank while you loosened the straps, I think the part busted when you tried dragging the tank down lower for more access to the pump) and then you saw the broken part, which you jokingly said I didn't need anyway, and the car hasn't ran right since. :F :dancefool

I got your Rick James biatch.Just wait till the gym tonite or are you gonna punk out. :F

Members online

No members online now.
Back