Emissions machine "not communicating with OBD2"

Chazzo

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey, New Lincoln LS owner here. I just bought a 2000 V6 manual transmission. Replaced front lower control arms, front upper control arms, rear sway bar links, rear torque tie rods. Has had clutch and flywheel replaced and timing chains fan clutch and valve covers. It drives great the stick shift is so much fun to drive.
Anyway I live in St Louis, MO and took the car in for an emisions inspection. which is essentially a scan tool authorized and maintained by the state that checks the OBD2 for emmisions related codes. My mechanic said the machine reads "cannot communicate".
After plugging in several other snap on and matco scanners all of them work and show no codes. Has anyone else had this issue. My mechanic thinks it is in the software of the equipment and has a trouble call in to the state but it works on the other cars in the shop.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

rear sway bar links, rear torque tie rods.

rear sway bar end links

rear torque tie rods = No such thing on any year LS.

... mechanic said the machine reads "cannot communicate".

That's his problem, not yours. Tell him you'd like to UNSUBSCRIBE from his ISSUES.

If your OBDII port is in tact and you are able to hook up other scan tools to this port and it works without any issues then the above is a problem with his equipment. Find another Emissions scanning facility. Try again.

Welcome to LVC, inspect you entire plastic cooling system on that 2000 and GLWR's

"search"

Understanding that within the system there are "modules" that need to be working and in a "ready state" of pending communications.

For instance, on my 2009 Chevy Silverado I once had ABS fault message come up on my dash.

Hooking up a scan tool capable of reading ABS, it was determined (although OBDII able to connect) that "within" the ABS module would not communicate. Turned out the ABS module was not getting power. traced down to a blown ABS fuse. Replaced fuse, retried scan tool. ABS module fully communicating, problem resolved. Fuse not blown since. Unable to further diagnose deeper why fuse blew initially.

That is a reference to specific modules within that can fail to communicate ... as in "Not in a ready state".
But as a general, if there is an immediate message of failure to communicate with PCM via the OBDII port, I'd have to bet money on fault with specific scan tool used.

Any chance the car had been sitting for a while or that the battery was disconnected for an extended period of time? I ran into a similar issue in my state and just had to drive the car more to get it to register.

Any chance the car had been sitting for a while or that the battery was disconnected for an extended period of time? I ran into a similar issue in my state and just had to drive the car more to get it to register.

Communicating and having the monitors incomplete (what you had), is not at all the same as not communicating (what he has).

Just got called to take car back to shop. A representative for the test equipment from the state show'd up. The shop seems confident it is the state equipment. But I cannot get a pass from anyone except state. I'll keep updating.

torque tie rods = No such thing on any year L
What is the correct name of adjustable links that adjust the back tires in and out? I've seen them labeled multiple names?

Hey Chazzo,
What ever happened with this. Im out in St. Charles County area with a 2000 LS and Im having the exact same problem.

Understanding that within the system there are "modules" that need to be working and in a "ready state" of pending communications.

For instance, on my 2009 Chevy Silverado I once had ABS fault message come up on my dash.

Hooking up a scan tool capable of reading ABS, it was determined (although OBDII able to connect) that "within" the ABS module would not communicate. Turned out the ABS module was not getting power. traced down to a blown ABS fuse. Replaced fuse, retried scan tool. ABS module fully communicating, problem resolved. Fuse not blown since. Unable to further diagnose deeper why fuse blew initially.

That is a reference to specific modules within that can fail to communicate ... as in "Not in a ready state".
But as a general, if there is an immediate message of failure to communicate with PCM via the OBDII port, I'd have to bet money on fault with specific scan tool used.

OR,

Unfortunately we're having an issue where three other scanners can tell the pcm monitors are all ready, but the state equipment is the only scanner that wont communicate with it. There are certain vehicles that we've had waived in the past for issues but haven't seen one like this before. Was wondering if Chazzo got a waiver.

Half those guys will pass anything if you slip them some cash. Look for the one where the guy has his car parked next to it, they scan their car and give you the pass ticket.

Lol. Not in missouri. For the next guy who happens upon this on google.... I ended up getting in contact with department of natural resources. Sent them a printout of mil status, dtc count, and readiness monitors and they gave e a waiver.

Half might be a bit high, but people in every state do it guaranteed. Look for the one that all the diesel trucks go to. They even do it in Cali, and that's the one place i would think would be the least likely because they're so crazy gonzo liberal, lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back