Emission control system question ???

Asialee

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello again... I'm sure this has been posted somewhere before, I did a search and didn't see anything that fits what happened to me today :( I was driving along on a back road and my car seemed real sluggish, so I hit the gas peddle and next thing I knew I heard this thunk sound, car jumped a bit and looked down at my dash board and the Emission Control light came on, nothing else... when the light came on I pulled over ASAP, turned the car off and waited a few mins. As I sit here in tears, wondering what the hell is wrong!! Is this something serious?? Also, Car seems a bit unstable too, spits and sputters when at a complete stop... when I turned the car back on, the light was off...

p.s when I said I hit the gas peddle, it was like if i was trying to pass a car.. NOT Need for speed lol

That's the check engine light.
It can come on for any one of thousands of reasons, some related to the engine, some related to the transmission, and some for other systems. Your owner's manual will tell you that the check engine light on steady is not reason for immediate concern. You just need to take it somewhere and have the OBD-II codes read sometime soon. After that, you can decide what further diagnosis is needed.
The owner's manual also points out that if the check engine light is flashing, that is a reason for immediate concern and you should take it in for service ASAP.

From your description, there's a good chance that you have one or more failing COPs (ignition coils). You do want to take care of that quickly, before your catalytic converters are too damaged.

Now that I think about it, the Emission control light was flashing, it was not on continuously, the CEL never did come on.. I'm afraid to ask what exactly is catalytic converters .

Also, what are the signs of your cats going bad ??

...I'm afraid to ask what exactly is catalytic converters...

Expensive is what they are.
But seriously, they're the devices in the exhaust system before the mufflers. Their purpose is to complete the combustion process and reduce emissions.

...Also, what are the signs of your cats going bad ??

Mostly a lack of engine power.

However, you must fix the misfire problem (that's what the flashing check engine light means) before you can try an diagnose any cat problem. The misfires will cause similar symptoms. 99% of misfires on the LS are caused by marginal COPs. If you have a 2003, 2004, or 2005 V8 LS with less than 100K miles, Ford will diagnose and replace the bad COPs for free.

If you don't fit the above extended warranty, then I strongly suggest that you just replace all the COPs. It is about the same cost as testing them all and only replacing the bad ones. Usually, when one fails, the rest will soon anyway. Also always replace the sparkplugs when the COPs are replaced.

thanks Joe.. if you recall, not to long ago I had to replace the Coil on # 4 & 2
Yes, I guess it's time I replace em all..

My 04 Ls has 48 k miles on it ! I'll take it to the dealer and see what they say ! I'll keep you posted..

thanks Joe.. if you recall, not to long ago I had to replace the Coil on # 4 & 2
Yes, I guess it's time I replace em all..

My 04 Ls has 48 k miles on it ! I'll take it to the dealer and see what they say ! I'll keep you posted..

If yours is a V8, then that'll work. (V6 is not covered)

You may want to print this letter and take it with you. Do note that if you are one of the 1% where the problem is something else, you'll have to pay the standard diagnostic charge.

http://www.allstatetrucks.com/Recalls/cust satisfaction recalls/07m07/R07M07 dealer bulletin.pdf

If yours is a V8, then that'll work. (V6 is not covered)

You may want to print this letter and take it with you. Do note that if you are one of the 1% where the problem is something else, you'll have to pay the standard diagnostic charge.

http://www.allstatetrucks.com/Recalls/cust satisfaction recalls/07m07/R07M07 dealer bulletin.pdf
Yes.. It's a V-8.. And right about now I could go for a V-8 with a side of vodka ;)
Called and made an appointment for tomorrow morning to see whats what..

Well I took her in today, I call my car a she due to she is stubborn as a mule :p As it turned out, it was my #4 coil.. After being there 2 hours, I drove away a happy camper !! An no, it didn't cost me one red cent to fix !!!! Love my car again, till something else goes wrong lol

thank's Joe for all your help !

Members online

No members online now.
Back