ELM327 Data entry question

Murdered_LS8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
OK, notice where the o2 sensors are listed in the screenshot, is that an indication of why I was getting a P0430 code? Or am I reading it completely wrong.

uploadfromtaptalk1387588173073.jpg

LT and ST Fuel trim on bank 2 are out of whack.

https://www.discountconverter.com/c...ws_page.cfm?Key=catalytic_converter-&News=120

scroll down to "P0420/P0430 - Catalyst Below Efficiency"

abstract:
When adding the long term trim to the short term trim, we are obtaining a very basic "total trim number". This number should be close to zero, never exceeding 10% positive or negative, and ideally within 5%. For example, a LTFT of 3% and a STFT of 1% would give a total trim of 4% which is well within the normal range. Negative numbers can work in our favor as well, say the STFT is 4% and the LTFT is -2% the total trim number would be 2% which is near perfect. The same thing if the total trim number wound up in the negative, a number close to zero is fine, but 10% negative is out of limits for our purposes

excellent video if you are "really" interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRX2V6_a3dc

It's boring and dry but very in-depth and detailed, last ten minutes of the vid, they run live waveform date on a running car and show fuel trim levels being adjusted by the computer to compensate for a vacuum leak.

Honestly, the most important thing to remember about Oxygen Sensors is that they were never meant to last the life of the car!

They are wear items and need to be replaced as you would brakes, tires or spark plugs.

When Oxygen Sensors reach 80,000 miles plus...change them.

Catalytic Converters do not go bad by themselves, 95% of the time some other issue with the vehicle will destroy the cat and most of the time it is the Oxygen Sensors. Even when you have them checked and the tech says they are operating okay...if the mileage is over 80,000 change them. When sensors reach that age they may still be functioning but the signal they send becomes lazy and since they operate in millivolts the slightest signal fluctuation can cause an air/fuel mixture problem and that in turn will take out the cat.

Just throw a new sensor on it ... not a big deal, jack up the car, get under it with a torch, heat the Fn thing up and crack it loose.
You may want to look at the connections before replacing to see if it's seated correctly or has come loose.

GL w/ Repair.

LT and ST Fuel trim on bank 2 are out of whack.

https://www.discountconverter.com/c...ws_page.cfm?Key=catalytic_converter-&News=120

scroll down to "P0420/P0430 - Catalyst Below Efficiency"

abstract:
When adding the long term trim to the short term trim, we are obtaining a very basic "total trim number". This number should be close to zero, never exceeding 10% positive or negative, and ideally within 5%. For example, a LTFT of 3% and a STFT of 1% would give a total trim of 4% which is well within the normal range. Negative numbers can work in our favor as well, say the STFT is 4% and the LTFT is -2% the total trim number would be 2% which is near perfect. The same thing if the total trim number wound up in the negative, a number close to zero is fine, but 10% negative is out of limits for our purposes

excellent video if you are "really" interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRX2V6_a3dc

It's boring and dry but very in-depth and detailed, last ten minutes of the vid, they run live waveform date on a running car and show fuel trim levels being adjusted by the computer to compensate for a vacuum leak.

Honestly, the most important thing to remember about Oxygen Sensors is that they were never meant to last the life of the car!

They are wear items and need to be replaced as you would brakes, tires or spark plugs.

When Oxygen Sensors reach 80,000 miles plus...change them.

Catalytic Converters do not go bad by themselves, 95% of the time some other issue with the vehicle will destroy the cat and most of the time it is the Oxygen Sensors. Even when you have them checked and the tech says they are operating okay...if the mileage is over 80,000 change them. When sensors reach that age they may still be functioning but the signal they send becomes lazy and since they operate in millivolts the slightest signal fluctuation can cause an air/fuel mixture problem and that in turn will take out the cat.

Just throw a new sensor on it ... not a big deal, jack up the car, get under it with a torch, heat the Fn thing up and crack it loose.
You may want to look at the connections before replacing to see if it's seated correctly or has come loose.

GL w/ Repair.

Yeah, my upstream o2 isnt reading at all. Got the part ordered and en route as we speak.

Part or parts? It's best to replace them as pairs, because both will have been in the same amount of time and thus will have the same amount of wear.

If I could afford it I would. I'll have to buy one this week, and the other one next week. Sucks not getting holiday pay and being off work for 2 weeks :'(

No worries mate, it was one of the best things that's ever happened to me career-wise. Besides, I just landed a new job, start the day after Christmas, thank God. Been thanking God constantly for seeing His way to getting me into this new position.

That's good then! I am hopefully getting my well deserved .50 raise after Christmas break. Sucks being out of work for the next two weeks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back