Electrochromatic Mirror Not Working

briasmit91

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody!
I've got an issue with my electrochromatic mirror not working. Tonight was the first time that I noticed it wasn't working, but it was working earlier in the day. I'm not sure if this is one of those gremlins that the car is blessed with or not. I've checked the fuse in the passenger compartment and it is perfectly fine. Does anybody have any thoughts of what can be wrong? It doesn't dim or show the compass. Thanks guys, sorry if this question has been answered before.

test with a meter to see if the mirror is getting power or not. if it is, then you probably have a bad mirror.

Mine doesn't work well enough. I have to angle it just right and then it dims better. don-ohio :)^)

Guys, it's so weird. It's working today. I don't get it at all. Haha, maybe the mirror is just starting to go bad?

Maybe, but I would suspect the power to it first. Maybe the connector at the mirror isn't pushed in all the way?

Joegr took the words right out my mouth. Check that connector and double check the fuse, mines went out a few months back and it ended up being the connector on the back was bagging out. I blame ford my wife blame my sundown 12 in the trunk.

Women always pointing the finger lol.

Tried it again tonight. Didn't work,then I changed the angle so I had to move my head a little to the right to see the whole image of both headlights. Worked okay.NOT great,but okay. I will check the connector, but I wonder there might be a light sensor that needs cleaned? don-ohio :)^)

There are two light sensors, one facing forward and one facing rearward. It's hard to believe that either would get dirty enough to be a problem.

There are two light sensors, one facing forward and one facing rearward.

For anyone curious, the front sensor determines if it's day or night. The rear determines if you have headlights in your mirror. This is why the mirror isn't dimmed during the day, but sometimes backing out of a garage or entering a tunnel during the day can trick it

If the sensor is blocked the mirror will darken; not not darken...

With my tint, headlight behind me actually turn a shade of green. Although I though I was nuts at one point, turning the feature off/on proved it's functionality. Green is from dimming through the tint.

Sure you guys have noticed it dims the side mirrors also?

...Sure you guys have noticed it dims the side mirrors also?

Only the driver's side mirror, and that only on gen II. Yes, there is a slight greenish tint to the mirror when it is dimmed (this is true without any added window tint). Not all of the mirrors used can be turned off. My 06 only allows the compass to be turned off, not the dimming. (My 04 allows both.) At least one of the ones in one of my Grand Marquis even had a hi/lo switch for the dim function.

Members online

No members online now.
Back