Electrict Window Switch doesn't match All Data or repair manual

Zenfollies

LVC Member
Reaction score
1986 Lincoln Mark VII Bill Blass

Driver side window stuck in down position. Switch not working. No sound.

The switch is on the center console.

Tried to take cover off to see if I could bypass the wiring to get winow back up.

The locking mechanism for the glove box is blocking, so I can't get the unit out.

Went to All Data and my Haynes manual and both show the switch on the doors. What gives?

Has anyone replaced the switch in the column and can you give me directions or pictures.

Thanks

The switches just pop out, you can pry it up and out pretty easy. As for being on the door, that never was on the Mark VII.

Switch removal process

JoshMcMadMac said:
The switches just pop out, you can pry it up and out pretty easy. As for being on the door, that never was on the Mark VII.

See the black round cyinder for locking the console box?

I unscrewed it, then lifted the woodgrain panel. Under I found a small plate screwed down on both sides. Took those out, but the splate would not lift up or slide out.

The cylinder has lip over the plate that prevents lifting up. When I try pulling forward (toward gear shift) too much resistance, so I stopped because I don't know what's under there and didn't want to break.

window switch.jpg

The window switch itself can be pulled out. Use a small flathead screwdriver and gently pry it up.

How to raise window with no power

1986 Mark VII BB

5.0 L motor

Window has issues

Drive side window stuck in down position.

Josh,

I was able to remove that plate we spoke of above. Cleaned the switch with contact cleaner to no avail. I then tried to jumper lead around the switch. Got one hot lead. Suspect motor shorted.

Now have panel off door. Can't tell where motor is located.

Is there a way to get the window up without power?

I do not have the funds to replace anything at this time, so, I'm looking to put the window in permanent up position until the big fix.

Also, do you think I have a short, and where exactly should I look. As I said before, the All Data and my Haynes manual do not show my actual car.

Members online

Back