Electrical issues - 02V8

Cicerojonezz

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have an 02 V8, love it. I'm having some electrical issues while I'm driving, the headlights/cluster lights will dim and she acts like she wants to stall out, but then everything will go back to normal. It's been happening a lot more as it gets colder out (north east). I tried searching the forums and Google but no luck. If anyone has had this problem before let me know.

I'm also getting some hesitation from her at higher speeds (50+) when I try to accelerate. Coils maybe?

Also getting some gas smell inside the car when I first start her up, I haven't noticed any leaks under the car so I'm not sure, I'm not sure what kind of gas was used before I bought her (2 months ago) but I've been using 91/93.

Any help or where I should point my attention is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Last edited:
Hey guys I have an 02 V8, love it. I'm having some electrical issues while I'm driving, the headlights/cluster lights will dim and she acts like she wants to stall out, but then everything will go back to normal. It's been happening a lot more as it gets colder out (north east). ...

Your alternator is probably failing (could be loose wiring instead). Unfortunately, the 1st gen is really picky about the alternator. Your only safe bet is to get a Motorcraft one.

...I'm also getting some hesitation from her at higher speeds (50+) when I try to accelerate. Coils maybe?

Also getting some gas smell inside the car when I first start her up, I haven't noticed any leaks under the car so I'm not sure, I'm not sure what kind of gas was used before I bought her (2 months ago) but I've been using 91/93.

Any help or where I should point my attention is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

This could be lots of things, including marginal coils (for both symptoms). Coils are a known weakness of this car. If you can afford it, it would be good to replace all eight COPs (use Motorcraft) and all eight spark plugs (NGK is good, Bosch is bad - be sure to set or verify the gap at 1.0mm).

Your alternator is probably failing (could be loose wiring instead). Unfortunately, the 1st gen is really picky about the alternator. Your only safe bet is to get a Motorcraft one.

This could be lots of things, including marginal coils (for both symptoms). Coils are a known weakness of this car. If you can afford it, it would be good to replace all eight COPs (use Motorcraft) and all eight spark plugs (NGK is good, Bosch is bad - be sure to set or verify the gap at 1.0mm).
I agree NGK is a great plug for the LS my Lincoln has been purring like a kitten with these plugs

Members online

No members online now.
Back