Electrical Guru Help Please

GWL

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have had an annoying gremlin in my 04 LSE since it was new. Occasionally, the battery will go low and the car will not start until it is jumped. It would not be a problem, except that it causes the "Service Parking Brake" light to go on and it cannot be reset by the usual battery disconnect procedure. this light must be reset at the dealer. This has happened perhaps 4 or 5 times since new, with no apparent pattern. The battery tests OK, the Alternator & voltage regulator tests OK and the dealer even kept the car for 2 days testing for an unknown draw with no success. The computer indicated "low voltage" as the only indication that there had been a problem when it occurs. One additional symptom when the no start condition happens is the headlights flash and the horn sounds when the key is turned to the start position. Again, no warning, no low interior lights to give a clue that the battery is low. Factory engineers have not responded with a fix to the local tech's inquiries about this problem.

Mine did the same thing the 1st week I got it. The parking brake mssg would be on or an error mssg saying a tail lamp was out when it wasn't. The next morning I'd come out to a dead car. Jump it off and it was fine. A day or so later the same thing would happen. Auto Zone checked and the charging sys and batterey were fine. It did it to me 3 or 4 times. It hasn't messed up in about a month so I'm hoping this glitch is gone for good.

My bet is the battery, no matter what the dealer says.

yep my 03 did the EXACT same thing when the battery started to go. btw you can get rid of the service park brake by turning the car on and off a few times and setting and releasing the e brake a few times

beaups said:
yep my 03 did the EXACT same thing when the battery started to go. btw you can get rid of the service park brake by turning the car on and off a few times and setting and releasing the e brake a few times
Thanks for the information on resetting. Is there a combination? I have set & unset the brake when this happens before but the light on the brake button stays on and the Service Parking brake message in the message center comes back with a warning chime every few minutes until I get it to a dealer.

not that im aware of I just put the brake on and off a few times (you'll have to hold the button up since the system is malfunctioning). seems like once I got the brake on all the way msg went away next restart.

Thanks everyone! It happened again yesterday, so the dealer installed a new battery despite the good tests on the old one. I have to give the Service Department of my Dealer credit as they always take the car right in and have tried everything to fix the problem. Hoping that they guessed right with the new battery.

gwl what are the "ultimate pedals" in your signature?

Members online

Back