Electric systems died while driving. Won’t start.

BuckeyeBrass

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was almost home when the ABS light came on, A few seconds later the Advance Trac light was on. Then the radio shut down followed by the rear defroster. The car was driving ok. When I pulled into the driveway I shut it down, and now it won’t start. The only test I had time to do was check the battery, which showed good connections and 11.5 volts, which I know is low. Tomorrow I will see if it will take a jump, and test the alternator. Strange thing is no charging system warning light came on.

Charging system failure, probably the alternator.

I had time to jump it today. No problem there. Disconnected jump vehicle and measured volts at battery going down to 11. I added load with lights, fan and radio, and watched it dive to close to10 while almost stalling. Pretty sure it’s alternator. I’ll check connections first hoping for an easy fix.

Your running voltage should be at least 13.8 volts and will typically be 14.4 volts. There's no doubt there's a charging system fault. It is almost certainly the alternator, but it could be wiring or the PCM. The alternator is a major pain to change out, and your 1st gen won't work well with most aftermarket alternators.

Note that anything less than 12.6 volts is a discharged/discharging battery.

I had a similar issue a while back with the dash lights. I ended up replacing both the alternator and the battery, but I believe the battery went bad because of the alternator having issues. So I'm guessing alternator for you as well.

I had time to jump it today. No problem there. Disconnected jump vehicle and measured volts at battery going down to 11. I added load with lights, fan and radio, and watched it dive to close to10 while almost stalling. Pretty sure it’s alternator. I’ll check connections first hoping for an easy fix.
When you pressed the status button the computer is telling you the charging system is okay? If so that's really weird because my 2001 V8 told me the charging system wasn't working when my alternator was failing... can't remember what it posted on the status panel but when it eventually made it to charging system it didn't say it was ok

Alternators can fail in different ways. Only a few of those ways are detected by the fairly primitive alternator monitoring. Mine didn't turn the light on either. Note that the message center charging system ok or not message is nothing more than a check of that same warning light.

Some years ago, just before a trip, I determined that a new alternator was necessary. It was a Saturday afternoon and the only place to get a replacement was at Auto Zone. I did so. Two months later, while at the starting line for the mile ECTA track in Maxton, NC, the engine died and after towing back to the pits, we determined that the 'new' alternator was dead. We drove the tow truck into town and got another, based on the lifetime warranty, at AZ. I reset the National Record four times the next day, going faster each time.

I've now replaced that same alternator twice more since then---always on warranty. I've gotten real good at replacing alternators; always on pavement instead of the dirt in the pits at Maxton, by flashlight.:)

KS

Members online

Back