Electric Fan Conversion

jimbob

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im considering a Taurus electric fan conversion on my '92 Bill Blass...hopefully to help ease the gas mileage and get the car to warm up quicker.

Can anyone recomend a good controller to use, and also a good spot to install the sensor. I know most kits require a sensor in the inlet manifold, but where would this locate? is there an existing hole for it to screw into? I have also heard about kits that have a probe type sensor that sits between the cores in the radiator, which i am favoring for ease of install, has anyone tried these?

My next question relates to setting it up....i have a digital dash, so NO temp gauge!! i do have an infrared thermometer though, so is there a good spot on the engine/radiator to take a reading to set the controller with?

I am also concerned about once set up and working, what if it went wrong?? how would i know as i have no temp guage to watch! Does anyone have any advice regarding this (besides a analogue dash conversion!)??

Thanks in advance!

is there a good spot on the engine/radiator to take a reading to set the controller with?

I am also concerned about once set up and working, what if it went wrong?? how would i know as i have no temp guage to watch! Does anyone have any advice regarding this (besides a analogue dash conversion!)??

Thanks in advance!

I have the "temp rod in the radiator" setup right now, but that isn't very efficient, because it doesn't report the engine temp...only the coolant temp, once it hits the radiator. So, while the engine could be at 195* after startup, the rod in the radiator won't see that until the thermostat opens and sends hot coolant into the radiator, past the rod sensor.
I have a Mr. Gasket thermostat housing that has an alternate threaded plug for an additional sensor. I read a cool article about using a threaded temp sensor made by VW that turns on at 180* and screws right into there, so I think I'll do that soon.

Electric fan failure is usually a fear among us who use them as a mod. But, overall, I think they're pretty reliable since almost all new cars use them.
If you have the digital dash, I would certainly advise getting a gauge so that you can monitor your temps.

I have the "temp rod in the radiator" setup right now, but that isn't very efficient, because it doesn't report the engine temp...only the coolant temp, once it hits the radiator. So, while the engine could be at 195* after startup, the rod in the radiator won't see that until the thermostat opens and sends hot coolant into the radiator, past the rod sensor.
I have a Mr. Gasket thermostat housing that has an alternate threaded plug for an additional sensor. I read a cool article about using a threaded temp sensor made by VW that turns on at 180* and screws right into there, so I think I'll do that soon.

Electric fan failure is usually a fear among us who use them as a mod. But, overall, I think they're pretty reliable since almost all new cars use them.
If you have the digital dash, I would certainly advise getting a gauge so that you can monitor your temps.

This was my concern about getting a good reading from the radiator probe setup. Is it not possible to take a connection off the sensor in the heater hose up by the firewall?? this is a coolant temp sensor right?

I agree my best bet is for a temp guage, but i like my BB the way it is and want to keep the interior/dash looking original, shame i cant hide one some place.

This was my concern about getting a good reading from the radiator probe setup. Is it not possible to take a connection off the sensor in the heater hose up by the firewall?? this is a coolant temp sensor right?

I agree my best bet is for a temp guage, but i like my BB the way it is and want to keep the interior/dash looking original, shame i cant hide one some place.

Oi mate! Just noticed you're from UK. Me Mum's from Blackpool. ;)

As long as you set the temp for the "fan-on" a bit lower, it will work fine.
I don't know at which point, the coolant temp would get to the heater hose unless the heater core passage is always flowing. Otherwise, if normally closed, it would only register coolant temp by diffusion, so I wouldn't recomend that. Hope that makes sense.
Buy an infrared heat gun with a lazer pointer and check your temps that way. Point it at the lower intake temp sensor area and get an average reading after many tries... Best to do this with engine off because the energy from spark plug wires will interfere with readings, if engine is running. :eek:

Cheers!

Oi mate! Just noticed you're from UK. Me Mum's from Blackpool. ;)

As long as you set the temp for the "fan-on" a bit lower, it will work fine.
I don't know at which point, the coolant temp would get to the heater hose unless the heater core passage is always flowing. Otherwise, if normally closed, it would only register coolant temp by diffusion, so I wouldn't recomend that. Hope that makes sense.
Buy an infrared heat gun with a lazer pointer and check your temps that way. Point it at the lower intake temp sensor area and get an average reading after many tries... Best to do this with engine off because the energy from spark plug wires will interfere with readings, if engine is running. :eek:

Cheers!

Had many a great partying weekend in Blackpool!! havent been for years though!

Yeah, i guess youre right about using the sensor in the heater hose, i would not have thought of that (why these threads are so good!) i have an infrared temp gun however, which i was hoping to use as you suggest....so i may give that a try

Members online

No members online now.
Back