EFC Engine Failsafe Mode

footballcoach

LVC Member
Reaction score
After seeing this warning message (EFC Engine Failsafe Mode) in my 2003 Lincoln LS 3.9, I changed the cheaper part the code reader identified: "Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power". After I changed it the same warning message appeared. The code reader still indicated the more expensive part "Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit" ($700) needed replaced. I replaced it. Same warning message. The code reader also said the Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited RPM was a problem but I hoped changing the other two parts would solve this problem.
In what I think is an unrelated issue, the parking brake will not release. This issue occurs when I back up out of my driveway; but not very often. I know the parking brake is on only b/c the parking brake light is on, on the console and the message center says, "Release brake", or something to that effect. It is not noticeable when I drive the car but the brake-warning lights in the back of the car are on, too. When the Failsafe Mode message came on in the past this issue also existed simultaneously. In the past, I'd go out later and start the car and there were no issues for a long, long time. Now it seems like the issue is going to persist. Any ideas?

Codes never tell you what part has failed. They only tell you what part isn't reporting right. What are the actual codes? Many posts here show bad/marginal ignition coils, especially #4, trip up the TB signals so the pcm failsafes

Well, first of all, there is no such thing as "EFC failsafe", and no such message.
I think that you are meaning "ETC failsafe" (Electronic Throttle Control). You should have searched on here first. If you had, you'd know that it is almost never the throttle body or TPS. Often it is caused by marginal ignition coils, but in your case, I have another suspect. Your code reader is only giving you the generic OBDII codes, and you'll never get anywhere with just those. Also, codes don't tell you any specific part is at fault. They just tell you where to start on the pinpoint troubleshooting chart for that code. At least get Forscan and get all the codes you are missing. For example, there is a code for lost RPM data. That is one of the many things that will trip both ETC failsafe and "service parking brake."
This is not a problem that you can just throw parts at.

I'll try to get all of the codes when I go back to the garage today. If I get them I'll post them later this evening. I gotta go to HS football practice now. One of the codes from the AutoZone code reader said "Throttle Actuator Control System-Forced Limited RPM."

I'll try to get all of the codes when I go back to the garage today. If I get them I'll post them later this evening. I gotta go to HS football practice now. One of the codes from the AutoZone code reader said "Throttle Actuator Control System-Forced Limited RPM."

The codes from the "AutoZone" reader will not be enough! It can't pull the very specific codes from each of the modules. The code for force limited does not tell you anything really other than ETC failsafe triggered. It's a result code. It tells you what the PCM is doing, not why (what caused it) it is doing it. You are missing the behind the scenes codes.
Forscan is free, but you do need a laptop and <$20 adapter to use it.

I stopped by the garage but they didn't have time to print the codes. Where can I purchase the adapter? Online? AutoZone had something called iDrive that connects to your phone but they were not familiar with Forscan.

(Typing while driving). I should have said, "Where can I get one other than online." I need to get this car in and out of the garage ASAP.

For example, there is a code for lost RPM data. That is one of the many things that will trip both ETC failsafe and "service parking brake."
Why does it affect the brake?

Why does it affect the brake?
The electronic parking brake module needs to know engine RPM, gas pedal position, gear selection, vehicle speed, and main brake pressed or not - to be able to know when it should auto release.

"Auto" as in you pull a switch instead of a lever or "auto" as in it'll disengage itself? Sorry, gen 1 here of course

"Auto" as in you pull a switch instead of a lever or "auto" as in it'll disengage itself? Sorry, gen 1 here of course

The gen II parking brake automatically releases if you shift from neutral or park into any other gear. Also, if you set (by pulling on the switch) the parking brake while the car is in gear and stopped, it will auto release after you push down on the gas pedal enough. If you try to engage the parking brake while moving without your foot on the main brake, you get some warning beeps before it applies, also it applies at three different braking levels based on how many times you pull the switch up.
There is no lever.
e7744b5284_640.jpg

Ok. Here we go. I omitted codes referring to Driver's Climate Seat and Passenger's Climate Seat.
Engine:
P0133
P0500
P1000
P2106
U1039
Instrument Cluster/PATS:
U1041
B1875
U1262.
Rear Electronic Module:
No Diagnostic Trouble Code.
Electric Parking Brake:
U1040.
Parking Aid Module:
C1983
C1992.

P0133 - Probably not related to this problem, but worth looking into.
P0500 - Vehicle speed sense problem - This one tells the story. This causes one of the ETC failsafe modes.
P1000 - You've recently reset the codes or disconnected the battery.
P2106 - Just tells you that you are in one of the ETC failsafe modes
U1039 - Vehicle speed data missing - This is your ETC failsafe problem
U1041 - Vehicle speed data missing - You didn't mention your speedometer not working. That would have helped a lot to be able to help you.
B1875 - Your turn signal switch (multi-function switch) is wearing out.
U1262 - Data bus fault - probably related to the lack of vehicle speed info from the ABS module. - You could ignore this if it came up once in a while without other problems, but you've cleared codes and it's back, and you do have other problems.
U1040 - No vehicle speed to the parking brake
C1983 - Radar sensor fault - very common older Lincoln problem.
C1992 - Missing vehicle speed data again...

Codes from the seats and any other modules might actually help to track this down.

Normally, I'd blame one/both of the rear wheel speed sensors (ABS light on?), or the ABS module itself. In this case, it's more complicated. It could be the ABS module. It could be the data bus wiring almost anywhere in the car. It could be almost any electronic module on the data bus.

You could try unplugging other electronics modules that you don't need to drive the car, like the seat modules. Finally (and probably), you'll have to do a lot of wire tracing with a multi-meter. Sorry...

U1041 - Vehicle speed data missing - You didn't mention your speedometer not working. That would have helped a lot to be able to help you.

The speedometer IS working. The odometer is showing dashes now.
Yes, the ABS warning light has been on for a long time.

U1039 - Vehicle speed data missing - This is your ETC failsafe problem

The speedometer IS working. The odometer is showing dashes now.
Yes, the ABS warning light has been on for a long time.

Both important clues to the problem.
Interesting that the ABS light is on, but you gave no ABS codes. If you really can't read anything from the ABS, that points to the ABS module or the wiring to it. Can I assume that the AdvanceTrac or Traction control light is also on, but not mentioned?

Here are codes I thought were not related to the problem.
Climate Contol:
B1262
B2426
B2796.
Message Center:
U1262.
Driver Climate Seat
B2477
U2362.
Passenger Climate Seat
B2477
U2362
Driver Seat Module:
No Diagnostic Trouble Codes.
GEM/CTM:
No Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

Instrument Panel:
Engine Warning Light
ABS
AdvanceTrac Warning Light
Brake Warning Light.
Light is on the Emergency Brake indicating it needs released.

Unless it's an easy fix, I'll take the car to a garage for repairs. I got the codes from them. I took pictures with my phone.

It may or may not be an "easy" fix, but the diagnostics to get there will likely be far from easy.
On the plus side, most of your problems may all be fixed at the same time.

So what should I/mechanic do next?

Run the pinpoint tests for those codes and symptoms as listed in the service manual. I'd start with the ABS module and the fact that it isn't reporting any codes (possibly not communicating at all).

Members online

No members online now.
Back