ECT sensor location? Mark 7

rustic302

LVC Member
Reaction score
I want to install an electric fan - however my coolant temperature gauge doesn't register, I wont install the fan until gauge works.

I checked what I thought was the ECT with a DVOM - read OK.

So I removed my dash cluster and tested it by wiring up a little battery - gauge goes up and down OK.

So its either the ECT or the wiring.

Does anyone have a picture of the ECT sensor location please.

1988 Lincoln LSC 5.0 HO

Front, driver's side of the lower intake manifold. Has a push on connector, much like the oil pressure sensor down near the oil filter.

That's not the ECT sensor, though. The ECT is mounted in the heater tubes that run along the passenger side of the intake (water pump to heater core). If that was acting up, you'd be throwing codes and your car would run like crap.

Wow thanks for quick reply.

I thought it was one of those 2 but I wasn't sure if there was a similar looking sensor hidden underneath somewhere.

Yeah the front sensor near the dizzy reads OK on the DVOM - if I unplug it with engine running then it idles funny and warning light comes on.

The sensor near the firewall on top of black hose (heater tubes, yeah?) that sensor when unplugged makes no difference to car running - also didnt read any OHMs but did have full voltage off 1 of 2 terminals.

What I will try tomorrow is put a voltage or a resistor into the connector for that sensor and see what gauge does.

Thankyou NYC LSC for help
(I bought a Lincoln Chilton manual and it really only covered 4.6L)

The sensor connector I'm talking about shouldn't have any bearing on how the car runs - it's just for the gauge on the speedo cluster.

Here's a picture I found of my motor from years ago. Inside the yellow circle is the sender for the temp gauge..

noac2.jpg

Cheers for picture
I tested that sensor also and no differecne to gauge so I'll have to check the wiring now... oh dear.

By the way, I was thinking of removing A/C and putting P.S. pump there (like in your photo) what extra brackets/pipework etc do I need? And what size belt (keeping smog pump).

I removed my Air Suspension Compressor for an overhaul - I took some photos so I'll try and do a tech article or something like that.

If you haven't gotten a fan yet, you'll want a really good one with some added capacity for safety. If I recall correctly, a Lincoln Mark VIII fan and a fan out of a US Taurus/Sable/Continental with the 3.8L V6 will all have airflow that betters what's available from the aftermarket.

There's a couple of UK Lincoln owners at LincolnsOnline.com.

Well I'll put the electric fan install off for now because my compressor overhaul didnt go as planned.

The vent solenoid was damaged and air was leaking at the dryer outlets.

So I rigged up a tyre inflator compressor and some household plumbing parts.

Not so good looking but now I can get 100PSI into the bags whereas they were getting 50PSI at most with original system. (New compressor is 4LB lighter also). The ride is much better than before - dont have to dodge all the holes in the road now ;)

I had to bypass the suspension computer and have a switch that controls either the front or rear solenoids.

PIN 12 = Front Right
PIN 11 = Front Left
PIN 10 = Rear Right
PIN 9 = Rear Left
(wire to ground activates solenoid)

I have the switch in the boot at moment and the main vent is a mechanical tap under the hood.
But after Christmas I will fit a proper switch box with electric vent control underneath my armrest or in the ashtray.

Cost so far
£10 plumbing fittings and plastic pipes
£15 tyre inflator compressor

Been a bit busy, interior re-leathered, various hoses, bushes and bearings replaced. Wired up relays, switches and leds for the Electric Fan.

The picture that NYC LSC posted - thats the sensor I'm having trouble with - if I ground the Red/White wire the temp gauge goes all the way to hot.
(normally gauge is all way cold and doesn't move) So sensor is bad?

Does anyone know the resistance range for this sensor?
When I tested mine it reads 8-900 OHM room temp 500ish OHM in hot water.

rustic302 said:
Been a bit busy, interior re-leathered, various hoses, bushes and bearings replaced. Wired up relays, switches and leds for the Electric Fan.

The picture that NYC LSC posted - thats the sensor I'm having trouble with - if I ground the Red/White wire the temp gauge goes all the way to hot.
(normally gauge is all way cold and doesn't move) So sensor is bad?

Does anyone know the resistance range for this sensor?
When I tested mine it reads 8-900 OHM room temp 500ish OHM in hot water.
I don't know the answer but I do know that you could probably benefit from a guy that lives in Burnham-On-Sea name DERECK. Dereck frequents LincolnsOnLine.com and is a little bit closer to you (geographicly) than any of us :)

Also, get a FORD SHOP MANUAL for your specific year Lincoln Mark VII. As you saw, the Chilton books are good but trust me, the Ford Published Shop Manuals are much better. They pop up on e-bay regularly. Average ending cost is $40.00US.

If you grounded the wire and the gauge goes all the way to hot then there's no trouble with your wiring or the gauge. The senders are cheap. Recomend you get one from a Lincoln dealer... $12 - 20. Parts houses also sell them but cheaper quality. I bought one from Advance and it was shot after about 2 months. :mad:

Many fans will work to cool the system fine. The mid 90's continental fans will fit with minor rigging. It doesn't completely cover the whole radiator horizontilly but that's not going to keep it from effectively cooling the car unless you're racing it a lot. You'll need to buy a thermal sensor and relay kit from most auto stores. About $40-60 non-adjustable. Then you might want an adjustable thermostat to plug into that. $25.
Or buy a Flex-a-Lite electric fan setup made specifically for the 5.0. Comes with all parts and adustable thermostat. $225 from Summitracing.com

Cheers,

Members online

No members online now.
Back