EBC Rotors..

AngelEyesAdrift

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
finished install of EBC drilled and Slotted Rotors And RedSTUFF brake pads.. it's normal to hear a high pitched sqweeling <did i spell that right?> for the first couple days while the pads break in right? or did i do a horrible job?

just keeping the thread at the top with this reply.. seriously though.. does anyone have any words of wisdom about this situation..

Did you wipe the new rotors down good? I sprayed mine with brake cleaner and they don't squeak. If you don't make sure the rotors are clean before you put them on the brake pads will turn all that grease into crystals and it crystallizes the brake pads. But, before you get disappointed try spraying them with brake cleaner/carb cleaner thoroughly and maybe it will take the squeak away.

FYI, I have to tell Audi customers (at least 2 a day) brake noise is considered normal by Audi, it does not hinder performance by their standards. They actually have a brochure to give to customers explaining why and when it may happen. This is mostly because of the metallic brakes, and the metal contact in them, you have ceramic and I would not think the same applies, I have EPC green and have no noise.
FYI
According to the Audi brochure it says;

All sound is caused by vibration. The squeeling sound yopu may hear when you apply your brakes is usually caused by the brake pads vibrating in their mounts-which is a perfectly normal condition. The phenomenom is most prevelant in vehicles with front disc brakes. front brakes are responsible for a high percentage of the stopping action. Disc brakes by their design are more likely to have the pads vibrate.

Trace squeek/squeel sound - medium speeds-light to medium brake pressure

Grinding sound - caused by trace corrosion-during first few stops after vehicle sits

Groan sound - may be heard on quick stops or allowing vehicle to move forward slowly from a stop.

Although I have searched by google for brake noise, I have not found anything else that says it is normal, other than what I have from Audi/VW??????

You HAVE to bed in your brakes. Stoptech's site tells you how to do it. If you cant find it let me know and Ill just explain.

If you didn't put Anti-squeal compound on the backing of the pads you should. It also helps to put a bit of High temp grease or graphite on the edges of the backing plate where it contacts bracket that holds the pads.

I installed EBC rotors with green stuff pads. they were very noisy for the first month or so (kind of a hissing sound while I was driving) but they quieted down after that.

yes, it does that...but it goes away...but mine just came back tho...its something to do with a coating i believe...not sure, but it goes away...my friends made fun of my car because it sounded like cop brakes...

I installed EBC rotors with green stuff pads. they were very noisy for the first month or so (kind of a hissing sound while I was driving) but they quieted down after that.

why'd you use the green stuff pads...they're rated for 200 hp and lower?...

IIRC, there is a procedure you have to run through to break the pads in. A lot of hard braking, PM Ken Garrison.

EBC offers free shims to combat the squealing you may occur with your pads. Those shims can be obtained directly from EBC by calling (818) 362-5534.

We have cross drilled, slotted rotors on our limo service cars, and they make a noise similar to a distant jet engine spooling down, sort of what you would hear when an airliner overhead cuts power to start a descent. Goes away in a week or two after installation, depending on how many miles we put on the car in that time

Members online

No members online now.
Back