Easy to change brakes??

machsv103

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my rear brakes are starting to grind a little bit and I figured i'd pick up a new set and try to install them myself. Are they hard to do and do you need any special tools. I have changed brakes on my camaro and impala but I havent done a ford. Im going to buy both front and back. is there a difference when installing them?? Thanks guys

Should be pretty straight forward since you have done brakes before. Just make sure to check the rotors cause if they are grinding it mor than likely time to change them.

You have to screw in the piston on the rear, and just push in the front.

What I do on the rears is take the rotor/pads off, then loosely screw the caliper back on, and then using the brake tool to screw them in.

Trying to hold the caliper is a PITA. Specially if the pos universal brake tool is that little cube thing they sell for $3.

The fronts just need to have both pistons pushed back at the same time. Otherwise you push one back the other pops up. I just use the old pad and a big c-clamp.

And if you really want to do it right, you should have a dial indicator and some shims to set the run-out. Otherwise it could vibrate no matter what you do :)

Make sure you rent the screw in tool for the rears. I hadn't known that you needed that and spent an hour trying to press in the piston to no avail. Then I got the tool and it took 5 minutes. Very straightforward.

Where can I find this special screw in tool for the rears? What does it look like?

On my other cars I just used a C clamp and tightened it so that the brake piston moved back into the caliper. Cant I just keep the car in neutral and do the same or do i have to go out and find this kit?

On my other cars I just used a C clamp and tightened it so that the brake piston moved back into the caliper. Cant I just keep the car in neutral and do the same or do i have to go out and find this kit?

You need the tool for the rears as they screw back in. If you try to press the rear pistons in, and are successful, you will ruin the caliper.

Dude, the "fancy" tool is only around $40. You'll save over 10 times that amount doing the work yourself!

Got ya. is there anywhere local that has this tool or is it something that I have to buy online?

Got ya. is there anywhere local that has this tool or is it something that I have to buy online?

Are you in a hurry? Sears has it a little pricier. Do you have a Harbor Freight nearby? Amazon also has it....

I got mine from Autozone, you can pay to rent it and just bring it back for a full refund, or you can keep it. Either way it's like $55, the guy gave me a discount when I got mine so I decided just to keep it instead of fooling around with going and renting one every time I want to do brake work.

Almost every auto parts store has a "Universal Rear Brake Tool" that looks like a little cube with points sticking out. They snap onto the end of a 3/8-drive ratchet. They look like this:

http://www.sidchrome.com.au/CmsContent/Images/AP/1105_2.jpg

Those are like $3 at every auto parts store I've been in. They will do the job, just go slow and be patient so you don't round off the holes in the piston or on the tool.

The tool mentioned in the other posts does the same job, just does it a lot easier.

Almost every auto parts store has a "Universal Rear Brake Tool" that looks like a little cube with points sticking out. They snap onto the end of a 3/8-drive ratchet. They look like this:

Those are like $3 at every auto parts store I've been in. They will do the job, just go slow and be patient so you don't round off the holes in the piston or on the tool.

The tool mentioned in the other posts does the same job, just does it a lot easier.

And, only after using (or trying to use) one of these does the $30 to $60 tool kit seem inexpensive and well worth it.

And, only after using (or trying to use) one of these does the $30 to $60 tool kit seem inexpensive and well worth it.

Exactly! But if you are in a pinch and don't have the $30-60 to rent/buy the proper tool, it will get the job done. I have used one, once!

Exactly! But if you are in a pinch and don't have the $30-60 to rent/buy the proper tool, it will get the job done. I have used one, once!

I tried that stupid cube and threw it into the trash "with authority" out of frustration!

In it's defense, it did work. However, I never knew I could be so pissed off at an inanimate object before. LOL

Taking the rotor/pads off, and bolting the caliper back on the car did make it easier to use though. Still pretty much sucked. Specially considering at the time I had one caliper frozen up and couldn't tell until I gave up and did the other side with relative ease. :)

dude dont ever recommend this "tool" to anybody, first off, most that use it have to make another trip out to the autoparts store to buy the correct "kit" after the cube breaks, its called a kit because it has many other parts that are used for the job that not only dont risk making the job even harder but safer and faster, as i mentioned the one that i bought fromt eh same story was much cheaper (i thought it was around$18-20) but if you dont have the money to buy the right parts, most places like autozone will let you rent the tool for free.

dude dont ever recommend this "tool" to anybody, first off, most that use it have to make another trip out to the autoparts store to buy the correct "kit" after the cube breaks, its called a kit because it has many other parts that are used for the job that not only dont risk making the job even harder but safer and faster, as i mentioned the one that i bought fromt eh same story was much cheaper (i thought it was around$18-20) but if you dont have the money to buy the right parts, most places like autozone will let you rent the tool for free.

Well, if he doesn't have the spare $30-$60 laying around, he doesn't really have the option. You all forget that a rental is not really free. It's only "free" after you return it and all the creditcard charges (or cash) are returned. But for the hour you need it it costs money.

Since he sounded like he was having issues renting it, I was suggesting the $3 "tool" as an option if he couldn't wait. I've been in the position before where I had to use one of these because I didn't have the extra $50 autozone wanted to rent me the tool. First and last time I used it, but still better then not having brakes.

Point being, it was an option that I and everyone else said is a worse case scenario last resort. The third option being riding around without brakes and maybe screwing up something costlier.

Ok guys, I didnt mean to start an arguement. I live in Chicago with a 35 mile commute to work and the brakes started grinding a bit and I wanted to replace them. I have done them on other cars and havent had a problem but I wanted to grab some advice on here because I know every make of car is a little different. I ordered the brakes and pads online and Im sure I will just grab the brake kit from the local autozone. I dont mind spending 50 bucks on a tool that I need frequently but I was trying to avoid spending 50 bucks on something I am going to use one afternoon and throw in the back of the garage.

Ok guys, I didnt mean to start an arguement. I live in Chicago with a 35 mile commute to work and the brakes started grinding a bit and I wanted to replace them. I have done them on other cars and havent had a problem but I wanted to grab some advice on here because I know every make of car is a little different. I ordered the brakes and pads online and Im sure I will just grab the brake kit from the local autozone. I dont mind spending 50 bucks on a tool that I need frequently but I was trying to avoid spending 50 bucks on something I am going to use one afternoon and throw in the back of the garage.

....so rent it ;)

Well, if he doesn't have the spare $30-$60 laying around, he doesn't really have the option. You all forget that a rental is not really free. It's only "free" after you return it and all the creditcard charges (or cash) are returned. But for the hour you need it it costs money.

we if your going to own a car like an LS that cost much more to maintain, then you need to be able to afford the maintenance on it. if you dont have the proper tools then you really have no business doing the job. ive just seen that tool do so much wrong its not funny

Members online

Back