easy question.. does steering column have a lock?

humfrydog11

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so my 1998 mark vii got wrecked ( wife rearended a truck.) Primarily she drives the car and i get to work on it,lol. After being down several months I replaced and repaired all damage from the wreck. list of parts and repairs included front header panel, hood all new rack and pinion system, pulled dash and replaced blend air door module and both airbags.
So after all that its test drive time, all is well except no steering wheel lock when the key is removed.
I cant remember if the mark vii has this feature or not. I purchased an alldata subscription to trouble shoot but got zero info.

So here is the easy question... When you remove your ignition key on a 1998 mark viii does your column lock?

97/98 I don't think it does have a lock.

The paper manual for my 97 doesn't mention it, the PDF from Ford for the 98 doesn't mention it.

The 1997 PDF mentions it, but I think it is partially a 1996 manual. It shows the 1996 fuses and not 1997.

Physically the steering on my 97 doesn't lock, never has. I noticed that when I was doing some work with the front end off the ground.

2nd gen steering columns don't lock.
car has PATS, and ford decided that was enough of a theft deterrent. or whatever went through their mind.

thank you all, that is a relief. I was getting ready to tear back into it to look for the lock mechanism. I guess I need to drive it more.....HONEY??? can I drive the car???? lol.....

Members online

Back