Eastern Catalytic Converters

cwallace19

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone used these direct fit cats from Eastern Manufacturing part #30500 & #30501. I have a 2004 v6 and need to replace both and not looking to spend a small fortune, but I also believe in you get what you pay for in life. So I'm hoping someone here has had luck with these particular units. Maybe ease my mind a bit.

IF I remember mine was manuf. by AP. The mech said that he had problems with aftermarket cats not working i.e. system does not work correctly and CEM comes back on. The only problem with mine is that they are quite loud compared to the OEM, the housing is about as thick as a beer can. They can be had on amazon for about 200.00 but I woundn't recomend due to noise factor. Good Luck

I am also curious about getting an Eastern Cat, cwallace, did you pull the trigger and get one? I am considering the one listed here.

It says there is a 5-year warranty and 60-day return policy, and the seller has a pretty good rating. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and getting them. My CEL keeps coming on for the bank one cat below efficiency threshold. I know the cat is probably melted a little as I had a bad cop on cyl 4 that was causing misfire codes and probably dumped fuel into the cat. Everything has since been replaced (new VCG's, cops and plugs all around) but this code keeps coming up and there are no indications my O2 sensors are going bad.

If I have to, I'll be the guinea pig for this purchase and let everyone know how it works out.

I'm still on the fence on this. I have a v6 so my model numbers on the cats are 30500 & 30501 for the direct fit. I too have replaced the vcg's, coils, plugs pcv etc. I have o2 sensors ordered waiting for them to get here so I can see if they are the issue (I have to get new ones anyway if I do get the cats replaced), so we'll see about that. If you do get them please keep us posted on the quality and if I do I will also keep the forum aware any issues good or bad.

cwallace,

I had to do a double-take on your post, the bottom part of it came off a bit weird, and I still don't understand it, but at least it's not aimed at me :)...

On the cat note, I'm going to climb under the car tomorrow and take a look at them just to get final verification that it's the cats (if they are discolored, purple-ish looking they are most likely bad, here's a good reference to look at). I may even drop them just to look inside and check (I'll take pics if I do). If I do end up getting them, I will keep everyone posted as to the quality. Keep in mind that I live in Georgia, so I don't have to worry about road salt corroding everything, what lasts forever down here might last 1 or 2 years up north...

OK, I did another eBay sweep before I pulled the trigger on the Eastern cats, low and behold, I found Magnaflow direct-fit cats for about $50 more here.

I did a quick search on the forum and all the info I found was about cat-back systems for our LSs', however nothing related to Magnaflow cats. Here is Magnaflow's page detail page for the cats.

I'm going to pull the trigger on these today, I'll wait til this afternoon to see what kind of feedback I get from you all... But I think this is a great find!

The bottom part was just something I read in another thread and thought it was funny so I've been using it as my signature. I might owe the author of it royalties, but I'm not sure. I noticed that particular magnaflow you have found. I don't understand what is the difference between that model and the other two available direct fit for a v8 engine. Either way seems like a good price for them. Looks like I might be the guinea pig for the Eastern products then.

From what I've read about other Magnaflow cats, they are supposedly "higher flow", when I get them I'm going to do some measurements, I'm curious as to the pipe diameter, and the smoothness of the bends, will be interesting. Apparently there are a lot of BMW guys using them and talking about how much more throttle response they have and better MPG's... I guess we'll see if it applies here (although, if my cat is bad, I will get better performance and MPG's just be replacing OEM)...

Members online

No members online now.
Back