Dynomax mufflers

Mill1978

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Today i heard a 97 cobra mustang with some Dynomax muff and it sounded good. Im thinking about getting some for the Mark.

Others have used them & liked the sound. Some people run the 2 in/2 out muffler in place of a H/X pipe.

You'll never get the same sound as the mustang on a mark. Their muffs are before the rear axle leaving nothing but pipe for a good 5' and the car's alot shorter.

Our systems are just too long to get that sound.

Which Dynomax mufflers are you talking about? I've had their Ultraflow SS as well as the Bullets on my Marks and honestly I prefer running no mufflers.

+1 for no mufflers. I have 2 high flow cats and an xpipe being the only thing to quiet it down.

Just gotta get it all put together

Which Dynomax mufflers are you talking about? I've had their Ultraflow SS as well as the Bullets on my Marks and honestly I prefer running no mufflers.

I was thinking about the bullets. How loud is a mark without the mufflers?

i have my exhaust after the midpipe, about 3 feet after the third cat. Sounds bad ass, but its pretty loud... but its not that loud once your up in the rpm's. I'm debating taking out the third cat for one of the two in two out mufflers just to quiet it down a bit.

Hey Rev, how hard are the high flow cats to install? Isnt the passenger side cat a part of the exhaust manifold some how? Or did you have them cut and welded on.

I have a non lsc so its a Y pipe if im correct after the two cats, then into the third cat then out in a single pipe. It kinda has that mustang sound, cuz its so short.

I'm debating between an X pipe where the third cat is or that 2 in 2 out muffler and running pipes all the way out. But all that takes money - just unclamping the exhaust right before the fuel tank will give you an option for you wanna do away with the stock stuff. My car had glass packs on it when I bought it, but it was way too quiet.

I would suggest against just cutting off the mufflers if you drive on the highway for more then 15-20 minutes at a time regularly. It is loud and drones very badly. Around town it's relatively quiet.

I would suggest going from the stock cats to an X pipe then dual pipes back to some inexpensive glass packed or bullet mufflers. I would suspect any chain could do this for you for <$400 and it would sound very muscular with far less drone.

Abe I am just hoping to get the crossover/egr tube problems settled with my mark. Then first stop is an exhaust shop. I'll worry about the cats after that. I'm hoping to get together with some shop that isn't afraid to hack off the old exhaust and start over.

My setup is gonna be stock manifolds -> 2 high flow cats -> xpipe -> 2 4" tips

I'm hoping that they can maybe run some pipe before they put the cats in so they're not on a dumb angle like they are now.

I had more drone on the highway with the Bullets than with no mufflers.

do it.

Well I have not yet taken the crossover or whatever it is out, and i still have the two factory cats, but beyond that i'm running 2.5" pipes with dynomax race bullets at the back with 4x 14.5" slant cut tips, I have gotten many a compliment on it, but on the downside I have also been arrested twice for nothing. I drive a flashy car, and some cops just really suck. anyhow, they sound much better than factory pipes with no mufflers, but i never thought to see how it sounded before i tacked these on. either way, they are not street legal, but its much better to put these on than no mufflers whatsoever because inspection places will give you crap about it. From the outside they look just like glasspacks, and cost the same. On the inside they even look the same (minus the fiberglass!) I definitely don't regret using them.
If you want a quieter tone, I have a friend that runs these in the middle and then runs them into dynomax ultraflows at the back, still has a nice tone, but is much quieter.
-Steve

R&R of cats on mark is a $2K job!

If you don't like the drone, get a louder stereo! I think its relaxing. haha. Anyhow, as far as the factory cats on the 95 LSC (my car) I am about to pull the engine out the bottom, rip that crap out, and since I have to take it down to get them out, I am going to go ahead and throw some kooks 3/4 length headers on then put flanges to some high flow cats, that way the whole system comes out in pieces and i dont have this problem anymore. I am tempted to try the LMS twin x pipe system, I was told there were no significant power gains over a single x pipe, but it smoothed the tone out. I guess that would be kind of silly to do if i still plan on going with the crower blower cams. haha.

Yo Steve!

Didn't I tell you that loud exhaust defeats the Mark 8's factory steath generator?
(grins)

good to see you lurking around here bro

Well. My car drones at 1800 rpm. Loud inside the car, but as you go above 70mph it gets a nice muted performance sound.

At 6500 rpm it wails.

Three cats to a y to tails, no mufflers.

I got my first "loud exhaust warning saturday evening, but the state cops are on a "seat belt/equipment" binge, too.

I was driving next to a GTI the other night. We were both making a lot of noise, going about 65 to 70mph. A state trooper flies up behind us, I was in the middle lane, the GTI in the left. 30 seconds later, lights go on. The GTI get's pulled over. Had to be for the noise as we were not speeding at all.

The only time I ever got pulled over for exhaust was for running dual open cut outs on my 95 LSC right after the front cats. The cop was like, why can I hear your car 2 blocks away? I told him it was a V8 with flowmasters and he let me go with no ticket haha...

Damn it I heard a cobra today with some cheap cherry bombs and that exactly sounded good. It exactly had that nice growl i want. I know ill never get that sound right. I think i can put them where the cats r and almost get that sound.

Well I have not yet taken the crossover or whatever it is out, and i still have the two factory cats, but beyond that i'm running 2.5" pipes with dynomax race bullets at the back with 4x 14.5" slant cut tips, I have gotten many a compliment on it, but on the downside I have also been arrested twice for nothing. I drive a flashy car, and some cops just really suck.

Lol. You're a story teller.

Damn it I heard a cobra today with some cheap cherry bombs and that exactly sounded good. It exactly had that nice growl i want. I know ill never get that sound right. I think i can put them where the cats r and almost get that sound.

Almost? You'll still be sporting about 4' too long of exhaust, with nasty bends. those mustangs are distinct for a very particular reason.

Members online

Back