tylers65

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
KKM Intake
Cat Back

On a Mustang Dyno

190 HP @ 5900 RPM
190 TQ @ 4300 RPM

A 2002 Mustang GT with a few mods went before me and pulled a 202HP so I am not dissappointed at all.

Anyone else have any Dyno numbers they would like to Share?

An LS8 putting out 190 to the wheels. Sad, sad, sad. Not knocking you at all. Just severely disappointed with Ford downgrading to the 3.9 instead of upgrading the power on a better performing chassis. Shame, shame shame.

Do you have a graph of the pull(s)?

MonsterMark said:
An LS8 putting out 190 to the wheels. Sad, sad, sad. Not knocking you at all. Just severely disappointed with Ford downgrading to the 3.9 instead of upgrading the power on a better performing chassis. Shame, shame shame.

Do you have a graph of the pull(s)?

Not to argue, but at least 3 2000 to 2004 Mustang GT's pulled 199 to 205.

IMHO 190 is not too bad considering all of the Drivetrain Loss.

The unfortunate thing is that a lot of people think a dyno is a dyno and they are dead wrong. Most people like to post numbers from a Dynojet Dyno because they are highly over inflated because of the way a Dynojet measures power (how long it took to go from Speed "A" to Speed "B" is how it measures on an unloaded Dyno). A Mustang Dyno places a full load to simulate actual driving conditions. My Dynojet numbers were closer to 240 HP.

Here is the graph...

lastscan smaller.jpg

Really. I have not heard of such a spread (50hp) between the 2 dynos. Good info. Learn something new everyday, I guess. At the end of the day, it is the e.t. and mph that matter anyway.

I may be a little slow, so can you tell me exactly what mods you have.

Is the KKM Intake a complete CAI or just the cone filter with hardware?
What type of Cat Back, diameter pipe, and did you use an X pipe?

This sounds like something I’d be interested in doing to my 2000 LS8 sport and I don’t know much about my options.

MikeB said:
I may be a little slow, so can you tell me exactly what mods you have.

Is the KKM Intake a complete CAI or just the cone filter with hardware?
What type of Cat Back, diameter pipe, and did you use an X pipe?

This sounds like something I’d be interested in doing to my 2000 LS8 sport and I don’t know much about my options.

The KKM is a cone filter and hardware.

My Cat back is simple...

Cut everything off from the cats back, replaced with facotry sized pipes without the resonators and replaced mufflers with magnaflo "Turbo" mufflers.

I am waiting to see if one of the others got it on video...

I was told by at least 5 different Mustang people that my exhaust was really loud and it actually surprised them when I went WOT.

I am planning on the SCT chip next and returning for another pull to give accurate HP increases. After that, I might consider attempting a supercharger if I can get Torrie to tune her up for me...

I found the proper formula for figuring the difference between a Mustang Dyno and a DynoJet Dyno.

If you take my 190 on the Mustang Dyno and add 11.55% it comes out to 219.45 HP which is on par with what others are running.

Turns out the Formulas I found were not accurate.

That being said...

After reading the responses from the other guys who ran that day, they all seem to think there was something "odd" about all of their numbers.

One guy in particular with an 03 Cobra has pulled a consistant 445 on many other dyno's and yesterday it told him he only hit 424HP???

I think I will try another dyno and see what happens.

More later.

$$$ changes from place to place and circumstances.

I was part of a group dyno day and we were given a price of $33 for an HP pull for the first pull and $10 for additional pulls. $65 for wideband pulls and $35 an hour for custom tuning.

I have not taken my car to the dyno without it being a dyno day so I am not sure what the cost is to walk in off of the street and have a run at it.

Hey - glad to see you here - I'll drop the other thread in the 'other' forum....

Since the Mustang is an absorption dyno there could be a couple of factors affecting your numbers - I bet you are actually 204 - 210wrhp.

I've been on a Mustang dyno 6 different times - one time (my 3rd) the numbers were very low - turns out the dyno was NEW - and either needed to be broken in or the operator needed some training. I went back about 4 months later - with nothing done to the car and had numbers that were more consistant with the other four runs.....

Mustang dynos DO generate lower numbers than Dynojet dynos. What is important is how close the numbers are to the numbers posted by the Mustang GTs.

99 KOBRA said:
Mustang dynos DO generate lower numbers than Dynojet dynos. What is important is how close the numbers are to the numbers posted by the Mustang GTs.

That is the saving grace part of this for me.

1 2002 Mustang GT Posted a 202HP with the following Mods...

CAI
Cat Back
Ballanced engine
Pulleys
and the owner said that was not all, but he does not want to give up all of his secrets...

This makes me feel fine about the 190 I put down, but at the same time, it makes you wonder how he could have lost at least 80HP to the wheels in a 5 speed manual car. I mean, that is a 40% drivetrain loss. Seems a bit "off" to me.

It all seemed so odd to see so many late model Mustang GT's get no more than 5 to 10 HP more than me.

FWIW, My stock '00 LS8 put down 207 to the wheels on a chasis dyno. Looking to get back on it this spring with the intake and exhaust.

Has anybody run the calculations from 60 foot times and quarter mile information, and compare that to the dyno?

Dragstrips are cheaper than dynos, and WAY more "real world". Maybe not quite as convenient, but............ :give

Members online

No members online now.
Back