Dyno Numbers

3.9-LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just got my car off the SuperFlow. 213rwhp @ 5900, and 249rwtq @ 2200. Temperature was mid 80's here in NC. Tuner guy said my SCT X3 couldn't download his tune so this was with the stock tune. Anyone had problems with the X3? I bought in new from Summit.

Cool to know

Anyone know dyno number for a stock gen2 ls? It would be nice to know the baseline to know about how much is lost through the drivetain.

Cool to know

Anyone know dyno number for a stock gen2 ls? It would be nice to know the baseline to know about how much is lost through the drivetain.

Ballpark, IIRC, is about 10%.....

Well mine is not stock. Has E-rad fan, K&N filter, and Dynomax Ultra Flo X muffler with turndowns. With 255K on my odometer, he let off at 5900 rpm, the HP graph was still going up so I'm sure it could have made more power if revved higher.

I'm really bummed about the tune though. He called SCT and they didn't know what was wrong either.

Never had any problems with mine with the tunes torrie gave me. I'm thinking it was just error maybe on tuner side, who knows tho maybe a faulty unit.

The K&N website has information about how they calculate horsepower on their dyno.
http://www.knfilters.com/hp_gains.htm

I looked up the options for a 2005 T'Bird with the 3.9L and checked the data on the Polyethylene and Aluminum air intakes. They show a big difference in base HP and in HP improvement. If you click on the (?) next to the "Estimated HP" it will tell you how their dyno works and calculates HP (the link above). They used a 2003 T'Bird for the Polyethylene intake test and a 2004 T'Bird for the Aluminum intake test.

Talk about variability!!

The relatively high torque numbers low in the rev range is what makes this car fun, and feel faster than what it is. In my opinion, this car is less impressive in the top end compared to the lowered end. 5000-5200 Rpm is about as far as I go, seems to run out of power after that.

the HP graph was still going up so I'm sure it could have made more power if revved higher.

yeah twin cam motors really flow well and like to rev. they usually make most of their power in the high part of the rev band.

weird that they didn't run it up all the way.

what really weird is that it maxed out the torque soo low, @ 2200 rpm mine is just starting to make power and seems to really hit the strongest part of the power band between 3500 and 4500rpm
if it really did max out that low, I would have figured that the HP also would have maxed out fairly early (of course no where near that low) since HP is a calculated number based off of torque

pretty much exactly like this one...
FirstDyno.jpg

Keep in mind mine was ran on an AWD SuperFlow Dyno. The numbers would be different on a Dynojet. And he let off early because my car has high miles and revving it over 6k is probably asking for trouble.

I can understand different numbers, but such a deviation from the curve itself just seems a little odd to me.

Members online

Back