Duals For My '85 Mark VII

Sifrino3 said:
I think he wants to use what he has. Not go out and buy a whole new car or engine. Xhaust doesn't really give you much anyways. Gears or TC would make you happier. . .
Can you read? I didn't mention exhaust or any of that. The whole point of my post is that the car is not worth upgrading. For gears and a converter, he could buy a 1988 LSC SE that would kick the things ass anyhow.

mespock - Here, simple: Keep the 85 pretty and confortable. Use it as a highway cruiser. Get a 1988+ if you want a potential fast car that's still a Lincoln. The only way power is getting out of that old ass car is via an engine swap.

The Thunderbird should have come with a standard 5.0L, not a 5.0LHO. If it says HO on the intake plate, you either got a swapped engine or intake.

If you really want a fast car with real potential and ease of upgrade, forget Lincolns all together and get a Stang. I love my Lincoln, don't get me wrong, but it really is more difficult to get fast. If you like the challenge like I do, then by all means, continue. But don't try to upgrade that dog of an engine. The heads are poo, the cam is poo, and the fuel/air system is poo.

Thank ol' Capitain!

I've tossed around the Mustang Idea! What I like is the price of the Lincolns. I know I have my Mark VIII but I was just thinking of "what if" on my Mark VII.

I have about 2 more year and then I am going to become a stronger player in the automobile game.

Need to get the kids out of the house first! Damn those things are expensive!! You single guys don't know what you're missing! (don't get me wrong I wouldn't give up my kids for nothing - over $30k on attorney and court fees to make sure I got to raise my kids, besides just being one hell of a dad and all around great guy)!

So unless Joey kicks me off this Forum (You know those special sessions LOL) I'm going to be here for a while picking the brains of you smart guys.

mespock said:
From pro-five-oh
What do you mean!!

Well I guess I mean if you didn't go through all the cussing, bleeding, and bolt snapping I did when I did a head/cam/intake/exhaust swap on my 1988 Cougar to make it a 5.0HO you have the 150hp non-HO motor. :p

Don't worry, I know how much faster the Bird feels compared to the Mark VII, even in stock trim. Technology and power really moved up once 1986 came around.

Oh and listen to Capt. too, he speaks the truth. Except that part about the LSC SE in 1988...;)

Everyone here has already laid down the right info. Be nice to the 85, but understand that power potential is just not there. Get yourself an 88 or up VII and go to work, you'll have sooo much fun! Or spend some $$ on the 8, either way!

Again thanks everyone for your help.

Here are the pics that I took of my muffler, cats, and tail.

MVC-002F.JPG

MVC-003F.JPG

MVC-004F.JPG

MVC-005F.JPG

MVC-007F.JPG

MVC-008F.JPG

MVC-009F.JPG

MVC-010F.JPG

MVC-011F.JPG

MVC-012F.JPG

Cats are OE. The flow tube is not. That's a quicky job at a cheapie exhaust shop fo' sho'. Don't worry about it though, keep her quiet, don't be all worried about exhaust flow output. That engine can't make use of a larger diameter pipe. There's a whole formula to find out the maximum laminar flow rate in a pipe of diameter x with a liquid of viscosity y... I don't want to do the math, but feel free, you'll see that the output it probably as close to optimal as you will get without swapping that turd engine :p

I know you're loving the VIII but I think that in time, there will be an offer for a VII that you just CANNOT pass by!

A Brother can ~hope~ ya know.

OldSchool1 said:
I know you're loving the VIII but I think that in time, there will be an offer for a VII that you just CANNOT pass by!

A Brother can ~hope~ ya know.

And when I do because I do want another VII, well find time to share a great Hoggie in Philly!!!

Wish I could make the trip to Geno's I'd have to find time to get together with the great Old School!

OldSchool1 said:
Thanks but I know your REAL motivation.

www.tonylukes.com

Now let's lock down this thread and chat about your VIII.

The 95 Mark VIII is very nice! I'm going to spend the early summer time to fix it up right.

There are no problems that I notice but I want to change the 1 2 and see what else it might need.

Wish I could have brought it up to Philly to show you when I headed back.

mespock said:
The 95 Mark VIII is very nice! I'm going to spend the early summer time to fix it up right.

There are no problems that I notice but I want to change the 1 2 and see what else it might need.

Wish I could have brought it up to Philly to show you when I headed back.
Rich.
Send Joey a message to close this thread eh? You moved to the EIGHT side and I keep getting sucked in here!

As for the eight ... I'll see her one day ... parked right next to your next VII :)

Sifrino3 said:
Do not change your headers or xhaust manifolds. Which ever one you have. You will lose some low down torque off the line. Other then that. I would get a nice set of Spark Plug Wires and of course Spark Plugs. If needed cap and rotor also!
I found this out the hard way. Like MESPOCK I was looking for a bit more power and better performance. I have a 1984 302 Cougar with CFI and like him I have little knowledge of cars and performance, MESPOCK had the brains to do more checking around than I did. Everyone told me to go headers and dual exhaust. I was half way through a rejeuvenation project on my car and decided this was for me. I installed 2 cats in my 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust system with H-pipe. The car runs fine, I got my deep growl I was looking for but my fuel economy sucks. I think now that the 2 1/2" is too much for the stock engine. either that or I was thinking that my original setup had 8cyliners feeding one O2 sensor, now the O2 sensor is on only 1 half on the H-pipe, being fed by only 4 cylinders. Does the O2 sensor measure the amount of O2
and the computer makes the fuel adjustment or does it only sense the presence of O2. I'm thinking that if the 2 1/2'" pipe is too much, could I install 2" pipe from the headers to the H-pipe, or go to a carb setup. I obviously don't know what I am doing at this point, any positive feedback would be appreciated.

Somebody told me that it is a pain in the A$$ to do a starter on a 5.0 if you put longtubes on it. I can't imagine it being much worse than it already is..... :rolleyes: Also, I have a chance to get some shorty headers for cheap money, they were on a mustang. Will they fit in my VII???

Members online

Back