Dual fan, one fan quit

lincolnelite

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I was on a drive through window this weekend and the queue was very long, as I approached the window I noticed that my temp is slowly creeping up (normally the needle is at the center of "O" in the NORMAL label) By the time I'm done it's almost at the edge of the NORMAL range and I have to turn it off and park it a for a minute. Drive it around and still above the normal range but no signs of overheating yet. I know it's going to overheat later if I'm idle.. checked it once I reach home and noticed that the driver side quit running, only 1 fan is active..

It's really a pain replacing the fan on this car since the radiator has to be removed too according to the service manual. Not sure if anybody has done it without removing the radiator. I'm going to spend some thorough check if it's just a wiring issue but I'm 99% sure the fan motor is toast..

here's the result, one of the fan motor locked up and fried the connector. I tried manually rotating one of the fan and it's locked up real hard. The other one is freewheeling smooth. Time for a new set of fan.. and a reminder with this car so old a drive through on a hot day is not a good thing to do..

20953751_1715001291905990_1232610751909102810_n.jpg

Wow that is scorched. Post the brand you get, I'll keep a look out on your facebook page.

I just bought a junkyard replacement, test it out and works fine. Compared with other cars where you simply pull out a couple screws and pull the fan assembly out, the Continental is a real bitch to work with. The whole radiator must be removed along with the fan. I tried removing the fan by itself in the junkyard and wasn't able to do so.

21150077_1720244368048349_739512659759399397_n.jpg

Nice score for sure. I read up on the fan removal procedure myself, like you said its a pita.

Hopefully you won't run into any other problems.

Wonder why they didn't use the Mark fan assembly. Wouldn't be surprised if you could shoe-horn two of them in for half the headache....

Members online

No members online now.
Back