Dual Battery ?? Confusion -or- Confirmation

Dino'sLSdeuce

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Dual Battery Install specically for a LINCOLN LS ??
I have a "somewhat" custom audio install and...Firestone opened my trunk.

First my story (long nutshell): Went to Firestone to have my Alternator replaced due to no charge @ the battery.
Aftermarket 110amp alternator had a warranty and it had only gone 5-months before it gave it -it's all. Anyways,
they attempted w/ 5 excuses. I shot down all of them with the Alternator is still under warranty until they finally
did it for free (parts + labor).

Now, my question (specifically for a Lincoln LS: Is there a confirmed High output Alternator for an LS Gen.1 that
doesn't effect the ECU ??

And if not... Between installing either an Audio Battery Relay -OR- an Audio Battery Isolator (for a second battery)
Which is the proper choice, Relay or Isolator ??

I'm sure there are LINCOLN LS owners, who are reading this with an aftermarket stereo or high-end custom audio
install; Are you all running OEM Battery+OEMAlternator? Please, only provide a comment if you do have an LS with
aftermarket stereo (I don't see the reason for providing a comment that's theoretic to most 12v cars) but not ut-
most "specific" to an LINCOLN LS, and your personal knowledge about it as an LS owner... Thank you

Dual Battery Install specically for a LINCOLN LS ??
I have a "somewhat" custom audio install and...Firestone opened my trunk.

First my story (long nutshell): Went to Firestone to have my Alternator replaced due to no charge @ the battery.
Aftermarket 110amp alternator had a warranty and it had only gone 5-months before it gave it -it's all. Anyways,
they attempted w/ 5 excuses. I shot down all of them with the Alternator is still under warranty until they finally
did it for free (parts + labor).

Now, my question (specifically for a Lincoln LS: Is there a confirmed High output Alternator for an LS Gen.1 that
doesn't effect the ECU ??

And if not... Between installing either an Audio Battery Relay -OR- an Audio Battery Isolator (for a second battery)
Which is the proper choice, Relay or Isolator ??

I'm sure there are LINCOLN LS owners, who are reading this with an aftermarket stereo or high-end custom audio
install; Are you all running OEM Battery+OEMAlternator? Please, only provide a comment if you do have an LS with
aftermarket stereo (I don't see the reason for providing a comment that's theoretic to most 12v cars) but not ut-
most "specific" to an LINCOLN LS, and your personal knowledge about it as an LS owner... Thank you

Gen1 will need a Motorcraft alternator. As you've discovered, aftermarket alternators don't know how to play well with the LSes PCM. No HO alternator that I've read about has yet to work. I think I read here somewhere where a member had an alternator shop rewind the stock alternator for higher output. I don't remember if it was successful or not.

How 'bout those Bolts!!!!!!

Read my 'High Output Alternator Resolution Discussion' thread. All the info you need is in there. The short answer is NO. HO alternators dont work in an LS.

This is how I did mine and it worked very well.

BATTERIES.jpg

BATTERIES.jpg

that's a batcap (a cross between a battery and capactor), not a capacitor. capacitors don't fix an overloaded source, it does stabilizes the voltage but fails when the system is at full load, it's useless actually and your system will work fine without it.

In my LS..I have a (2) amp setup..one amp is a four channel for the doors (have JL customs tweeters cut into the doors matched with JBL door speakers) and one amp is for a JL W12..there is a lot of high voltage running between these amps and without a capacitor..I had all kinds of power drains, lights dimming, etc. The HO alternator wreaks havoc and will not work on this LS (2000). The only stable way that I have discovered is using the capacitor. My Clarion ESQ equalizer bears most of the work, next to the 7" navi. With the capacitor my amps don't cut out and shut down..and there is a sufficient reserve voltage to power my system and the other electrical demands coming from the rest of the car. If you insufficiently power a extensive system in this car, fuses will begin to blow and all kinds of crazy electrical issues will occur...

Members online

Back