Drove in the snow for the fist time.....Now I

JoeyGood

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Drove in the snow for the fist time in my mark.....Now I hear this noise like i have high gears in my rear but it's not coming from the rear of the car. New York had quite a bit of snow (traction control really worked hard that day) and all though she's riding good that noise is there. The car is still under 50k (just shy of 200 miles) so I'm wondering if maybe i have all the fluids changed this coming Saturday and get her lubed up well it might help. All fluids are at the correct level now so I'm stumped as to what it is. BTW the noise is heard when accelerating and decelerating.

ANY IDEAS as to what it is? :confused:

Rear brakes is my guess. You know that the brakes are applied in the rear with the traction control engaged. The harder you press the gas pedal, the more the brakes have to worked to contain the wheel spin.

Exactly how hard did you work the traction control?

MonsterMark said:
Rear brakes is my guess. You know that the brakes are applied in the rear with the traction control engaged. The harder you press the gas pedal, the more the brakes have to worked to contain the wheel spin.

Exactly how hard did you work the traction control?

I would say a good 3 miles of of hard work on the traction control. the HWY had not been cleaned and there was a good 6 inches of dirty snow/slush on it. Then i got off and took the side streets all the way home since the they were clean (go figure, the city takes care of the sides streets and the HWY is left up to state to clean, ain't that some political bull or what?) I never seen the HWY left in such a mess as it was that day.

JoeyGood said:
I would say a good 3 miles of of hard work on the traction control.
Good chance you burned out of one the rear brake pads. I'd pull the wheels and inspect. Don't want to grind a rotor and have to replace that too.

MonsterMark said:
Good chance you burned out of one the rear brake pads. I'd pull the wheels and inspect. Don't want to grind a rotor and have to replace that too.

Thanks, i'll check them out early in th Am

thanks again

I had a pad come loose, pry up at an angle and could not longer back up since it acted as a wedge - only forward, then it fell out! LOL They figures traction control did it - it was on the passenger side rear. The pads on teh other side had plenty of life left in them.

You hit it dead on. Thank you. :)

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this from happening again? (wishful thinking)

Turn the traction control off for take offs and lower speeds and turn it back on once you've got it moving good.

Members online

No members online now.
Back