Driving a 2018 Ford fiesta with no key ignition Vs a Mark 8 keyed ignition

BILLBOATS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This week I rented a 2018 ford fiesta and its a nice car but before you drive one there a lot to learn . These no ignition key to start it . Sound good? just put a foot on the brake and push the start button To shut off apply the brake and push the button. Sound good? unlike the marks and other keyed cars, it has a oval shaped key fob the driver absolutely has to carry on him or her at all times . It has a signal to tell the car its allowed to start engine. If you forget to carry it the car will not start. Unlike Marks and keyed cars where a spare key can be hidden . the 2018 ford fiesta has no back up plan to start it should one loose the key fob or leave it in you kitchen. The car may have to be towed to a ford dealer if the key fob is lost. No way to start it. Unlike the marks and keyed cars where a spare key would get you going. Or at the worst a lock smith could come out to make you a new key and get you on your way. The radio along with many touch screens a driver should know to enjoy the car. I did like the back up camera. The rest of this car was designed like a space ship dash board. I felt I needed a drink from driving it but I gave up drinking 8 years ago. When I buy another car it won't be a push button ignition.

If you think about it having a key to start a car is genius. You put it physically in the car to make it run then remove it when your done driving. I don't get the benefit of a push button.

there isn't one for the consumer, other than laziness. However there is one for car company - cost of replacement.
Cost of a key for my 88 Thunderbird Turbo coupe a couple of dollars.
Cost of fob replacement if you lose it, $100 or I bet more and does that include the service labor to program it?

there isn't one for the consumer, other than laziness. However there is one for car company - cost of replacement.
Cost of a key for my 88 Thunderbird Turbo coupe a couple of dollars.
Cost of fob replacement if you lose it, $100 or I bet more and does that include the service labor to program it?
Another downside a car 2017,2018 model most have push button starts. There may be some with a key I do not know about.If for some reason the owner of these 2017,2018 models lost his or her key fob and ring , the car has to be towed to a dealer. There might be locksmiths now who are up to date with keyless ignitions. I don't know. The keyless cost replacement with towing could reach 200.00. While the owner waits for a new key he or she has no car to drive. They may have to rent a car for a day.

If you think about it having a key to start a car is genius. You put it physically in the car to make it run then remove it when your done driving. I don't get the benefit of a push button.
Looking on the Internet, I saw one place in advertising keyless keys . The cost for a ford 2012 t0 2018 was 225.00. A metal key would have been 2.00 at a keyshop.

I own a 2013 Lincoln MKX/2012 Toyota C4/2014 BMW 328d all with key less start. It took a little while to get use to the "no key" but now that I have, I wouldn't have it any other way. I never had any problems with any of them. Just keep the fob in your pocket or jacket and forget about it. Even when the battery starts to die, you still have months to replace it.

I own a 2013 Lincoln MKX/2012 Toyota C4/2014 BMW 328d all with key less start. It took a little while to get use to the "no key" but now that I have, I wouldn't have it any other way. I never had any problems with any of them. Just keep the fob in your pocket or jacket and forget about it. Even when the battery starts to die, you still have months to replace it I like not having to keep track of the proximity switch all the time.

LOL. I have a 2017 Fiesta SFE with the 998cc motor. Its just a hoot to drive and I'm down to one tank a month. Tiny turbos rule. ;)

Mine did not come with that option and I don't care one way or the other. ;)

LOL. I have a 2017 Fiesta SFE with the 998cc motor. Its just a hoot to drive and I'm down to one tank a month. Tiny turbos rule. ;)

Mine did not come with that option and I don't care one way or the other. ;)
I liked driving the fiesta too. Lots of fun . Thats a real small block as it computes out to 61 cubic inches. The one I drove had quick 0 to 70 for such a small block. The engine running sounded like a fine clock ticking

Members online

Back