Drivers side mirror damage

Fla02LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My car got some minor damage in a parking lot which involved the drivers mirror. I have the folding type with the auto dim feature. Well the damage didnt crack the actual glass but there is some brown looking streaking kinda like behind the glass. I took the car to insurance company to get an estimate and they wrote that the glass mirror itself is replaceable without replacing the whole assembly. I have looked and havent found that this is the case. The assembly is sold as a whole unit. Who is right? Obviously the estimate would be way too low if i needed to replace the whole assembly instead of just the mirror. Anyone have some experience in this?

From all the side view mirrors i have seen, the glass is removable

Yes, the glass is replaceable by itself. Make sure they replace it with the auto-dim glass.

If I read this right, your repair estimate came from an insurance adjuster and not a bodyshop. Since there are no pictures to show the damage, I would suggest getting a repair estimate from a body shop. If they can get away with it the insurance adjuster would duct tape a bathroom mirror out there to fix your problem.

If I read this right, your repair estimate came from an insurance adjuster and not a bodyshop. Since there are no pictures to show the damage, I would suggest getting a repair estimate from a body shop. If they can get away with it the insurance adjuster would duct tape a bathroom mirror out there to fix your problem.

First off , the insurance adjusters name was Lincoln Gonzalez. I thought that to be hilarious. The paperwork i got shows the replacement part as $266.51, plus $25.44 for labor. Grand total of $291.95, minus my $100 deductible so i got a check for $191.95.

Now what concerns me is when i go to the Team Ford website it only lists as "Mirror folding, w/memory " with a list of $219, but it looks as though that is the whole assembly not just the glass. Nothing specifies if it is the auto dim or not. I guess a phone call could clarify that but dont all LS's have the auto dim feature?

Here's your opportunity to buy an entire assembly from a salvage car and pocket the rest of the settlement. They take about 10 minutes to replace.

I would not recommend buying a boneyard mirror. Most of the time they sit ouside and weather, and the motors inside crust up so they don't work properly. So unless the mirror has been removed, and stored inside a building, I would stay away. Even then it's a 50/50 chance you get a good one. Do you want to replace it more than once, or have it done right the first time.

I would do as Telco said, and get an estimate from a body shop. Heck, get one from the dealer too. $25 for labor seems awful low, and the $$$ you got from the insurance agent, doesen't even cover the cost of a replacement unit.

---Mike---

... $25 for labor seems awful low, and the $$$ you got from the insurance agent, doesen't even cover the cost of a replacement unit.

---Mike---

$25 in labor to replace just the auto-dim glass sounds about right to me. It should be quick and easy to do. (Just a connector or two and snap the glass in.) However, finding just the auto-dim glass somewhere may not be so easy.

I would not recommend buying a boneyard mirror. Most of the time they sit ouside and weather, and the motors inside crust up so they don't work properly. So unless the mirror has been removed, and stored inside a building, I would stay away. Even then it's a 50/50 chance you get a good one. Do you want to replace it more than once, or have it done right the first time.

I would do as Telco said, and get an estimate from a body shop. Heck, get one from the dealer too. $25 for labor seems awful low, and the $$$ you got from the insurance agent, doesen't even cover the cost of a replacement unit.

---Mike---

The labor seems fine seeing that i would be doing it myself anyway and the final check amount was minus my deductible. The Actual estimate price for the replacement seems right on. And we are only talking about replacing the glass and not the entire assembly.

Members online

No members online now.
Back