Driver's Seat removal

T-Flip

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Heading to the junkyard today for a driver's Seat, are there any special tools i need to remove? I'm hoping I won't need a torx bit because I don't have any.

You may need a battery to adjust the seat position (and maybe steering wheel). I asked them if I could bring mine in and they let me.
You'll need a 15mm for front and back bolts/nuts and I think a 13mm to take off the seat belt 'buckler' (if you don't want it).
Need a T55 torx bit if you want to remove the seat belts.

Thanks for the reply brother, I just need the seat itself. That buckler comes out with it correct? And are the seat belts connected to the seat somehow? I don't have any torx bits so I'm gonna try to leave the seatbelt behind if I can.

Oh yeah...forgot that little bit!
The belt is connected to a 15mm (?) but behind the plastic side shield. There are 3 phillips screws. 1 underneath front, 1 in the back, and 1 in the middle behind the seat adjustment cover. Might take a little effort to pop that one off, but don't think you can break it. Think you need to pop the back cover to reach that rear screw as well. You can break the tabs on the shield if you don't get the screws though. Once you get the seat lose, you can flip it and get the shield off.

Okay I got the seat replaced, this new one is comfy after cleaning it up real good. I also got to vacuum all of the carpeting while the seat was out. It was pretty simple, no torx bit needed at all. You only need a 15mm wrench + socket and a few extensions.

- There's 4 fasteners holding the seat to the car: 2 nuts behind the seat and 2 bolts in front
- I started at the rear using a 15mm 12 point box end wrench, it will be slow and steady because it'll be hard to get a good swing arc.
- The front bolts are hidden under carpeting, just pull it back at the seams and it will reveal itself. Use 15mm socket with extensions.
- If you're having trouble with any of the fasteners you can remove the others first so you can wiggle the seat around for more clearance.
- With all the fasteners removed tilt the seat forward to access some connections under the seat. I used vise grips to remove the pigtail connections.
- Take the seat out of the car
- The seatbelt will still be attached, it's easier to remove it with the seat outside the car: pop off the cover and use a 15mm deep socket to remove the nut that holds the belt
- And done! Clean it up and reinstall carefully, do not scratch your paint with the metal base of the seat..

It is also recommended to disconnect the negative cable of the battery in order to prevent unwanted airbag deployment. Thanks to tywayne for the valuable information, it helped a lot!

Members online

Back