Drivers seat info needed

99 TC Touring

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought this 99 town car and the guy informs me that the seat will not function. you can hear it try, but it wont do anything. Someone told me you cant fix it, you just have to get a whole new seat. Is that correct??

Thanks

best thing to do is find a set of shop manuales from ford for the towncar. they will pay for them self if you have the mechical ability. and tools to do the job.good luck. JD

No, you do not have to get a whole new seat. You have to replace the track assembly as there are no service parts for that mechanism.

A manuales[sic], whatever that is, manual I'm guessing, will only show you how to remove the seat and replace the track assembly.

All three motors are not working?

Good luck.

Does the seat tilt at least? Or does it not move at all? If it doesn't do anything, I'd find it hard to believe it all went bad so quickly.

If it simply doesn't move, a new seat track assembly can be had a junkyards for under $30, motors and all. Swap it out, and if it doesn't work to your liking, usually they have 30 day warranties.

I've found that with power motors in Ford vehicles (at least more so) you need to use them regularly, or they will stop working.

When I bought my old Lincoln, the drivers seat worked somewhat, and the pass. one would not move forwards/backwards at all. I got them to work OK when I bought it after some servicing, but when I sold it 5 years later, they were totally dead. Only way to get the drivers seat to move was to "push and pull" it depending if you wanted to go forwards/backwards. A little servicing will fix this.

On my new one, the seat is the "strongest" in the portion of track used for the "easy entry/exit" function. Beyond those 2" of motion, it gets sluggish. I've since disassembled and cleaned/lubed it all, and it works much better. Need to do the pass. seat, as it won't move forward/backwards at all.

Members online

Back