Drilling holes in headlight...(Fogging Headlights)

d-i-s-t-o-r-t-e-d

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I just bought some digital h.i.d.'s which work perfect. But, now my driver's side headlight wants to win the worst timing awards and fog up. I work at a used car dealership and was talking to my boss and he said that if you drill a small hole in the headlight it will keep it from fogging up. So, I decided to do a little bit of research and after reading through about 50 threads on here I found a guy that drilled I believe three or four small holes in his headlights and it cured the sweating, fogging etc... So, I figured I would post a topic and see what your opinion would be. Also my boss and the guy on here said that when it rains they still do not fog up.

What year LS do you have? When my 00 headlights started fogging, I just heated them up to loosen the sealant and then just pushed them back in together really hard until the sealant cooled back down. This allows the sealant to reset a lot of the times - I got that quick fix tip one off of one of the Ford Mustang forums.

Sorry I forgot to mention that key part. But, it's a 2000. I figured it would be a little bit easier to just drill the hole or holes. But, I really haven't looked at how hard it would be to take the headlight out.

Well, I have also heard of the drilling solution working. I just didn't do it because I wasn't too eager to drill holes in my headlights. Removing the headlights is not that difficult. There's a cover on top and another on the bottom of the lights that you snap off and then you just unscrew them. The covers have plastic fasteners on them that you push the button in the middle down then pull them up. On the bottom cover you also have to gently pull the temperature sensor up.

Here is a link to show you how to take the lights apart:

http://www.lskoncepts.com/LSK Angel Eye Install Guide - CCFL.pdf

After you get them apart, you can clean up the water spots if you have any. Just be careful not to use anything on the chrome. Following the process to reseal them, you should fix the problem of them fogging.

All this is contingent on the presumption that you have the grey sealant.

reseal the headlight. super easy. only requires a silicone sealant and pulling the headlight off the car.

Don't drill the holes, re-seal them. I've seen NEW Audis - from the factory - with vented headlights that will sweat. Can't see why your car wouldn't after drilling holes.

btw 1st gen headlights already have small vents.

Headlights

I thought about resealing when mine fogged. But I found a guy on Ebay selling replacements for $80 each and just ordered some new ones. Perfect fit and finish. Replacement is easy. Just reset the adjusts to the settings on the old lights.

Members online

No members online now.
Back