drilled out air box?

turborich

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
what is a drilled out air box? and how do you remove the silencer? is the silencer in the intake tube or in the air box? whats better, a drilled box or a cone filter? thanks.

turborich said:
what is a drilled out air box? and how do you remove the silencer? is the silencer in the intake tube or in the air box? whats better, a drilled box or a cone filter? thanks.

don't bother drilling your air box, put in a cone filter and remove the silencer. The silencer is a little tube inside the passenger fender. Its attached to the bottom of the air box by 3 or 4 screws. You'll have to remove the fender lining to remove it.

I just cut a hole outa the airbox, not a bunch of drill bit holes. I think it sounds better. (but dont tell anyone you drilled out your airbox. They will call you crazy. They just dont know whats going on though;) )

the silencer basically makes a car breathe through a straw instead of taking full breaths. if you take it off it will give you better gas mileage but not a noticeable difference in performance but there is one

Ok guys thanks for the info. My car already had a k&n cone filter instaled on it when I bought it, I was just wondering if the stock drilled air box would have been better since it connects to the duct underneath the car to get fresh air? But you guys have answered that for me so I will stay with the cone filter. Should I still remove the silencer since I have the cone filter? Im guessing that this will still allow more air, correct? Eventualy I want to make some type of baffle there like the LMS ice box, Not sure when though.

Thanks.

If you have a conical filter you are already bypassing the silencer. The silencer just becomes dead weight.

After I removed the silencer I noticed a more throaty growl from the engine when I put my foot in it. Very manly.

Can the silencer be put back on once taken off? I hear that not having it there makes replacing the compressor easier.

Thanks. I have never looked under there yet. Will probably be replacing my compressor soon.

my95mark8 said:
Can the silencer be put back on once taken off? I hear that not having it there makes replacing the compressor easier.

"Lemme tell ya somethin." Pulling that silencer out of the car is a little like pulling your own stomach out by the intestines. Once it's done, it ain't going back in without a LOT of trouble...:eek:

Added a 4" hard rubber tube out the front end of the flat air filter(K&N) box with a scoop on the bottom under the bottom of the bumper. I never saw the silencer. I'll look friday if I finish my salvage yard runs in time. I will probably clean the MAF at the same time. What's the part number for either the K&N or C&L long cone filter? Hardly anyone knows any number for a Lincoln. Ed :cool:

mespock said:
Makes it a lot easier to work on the comperssor. Damn thing is in the way.

And you can even remove and replace the dryer through the hole in the frame under the air box after you remove it.:D

Members online

No members online now.
Back