Drilled and slotted rotors

jerryg2112

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My last break job 6 months ago I went with Power Stop drilled and slotted rotors and pads on the front of my 99 Conti. I always wanted to try them since I never had anything but regular solid rotors before. I have no problems stopping but I can say that I don't like the feel of them. Any breaking other than very light has a grinding, gritty feel. I don't know if it is the brand or the design of the rotors but I suspect the interrupted surface that causes the feel. Next time I will go back to the regular rotor and soft luxury feel.

its the nature of drilled / slotted rotors. you want soft and luxury?
go with centric blanks.

What pads do you have, and did you break them in after they were installed? Rotors and pads have a specific break-in procedure that has to be followed or they'll never be 100% right. It involves rapid stops from increasing speeds so you'll need a remote place to do it in.

You can have drilled and/or slotted rotors with good brake feel. I ran slotted rotors on my turbo Dodge Stealth (400 lbs heaver than the Continental) with much success. They're stock (with 8 piston calipers) on my brother's 5400 lb Mercedes 2-door, and a good thing too since it traps 121 mph in the quarter (bone stock!)

The Stealth:

newbrakes.jpg

The Benz: (How much rotor? That's a 19-inch wheel!)

amg17.jpg

I admit the brakes on my Continental aren't performance-oriented in the slightest. I run AutoZone's premium rotors and their ceramic pads. I'd probably stick with solid rotors and try a more aggressive pad if I ever did something crazy under the hood (blower, spray, etc) but right now this setup does all the stopping I'll need.

The pads are Power Stop too. Yes, I did bed them in per instructions. There is no problem with the braking just don't like the feel.

I put slotted and cross drilled on all my cars, even , my late 2000 Conti. I know the noise you are talking about, kind of like a jet hitting thrusters in reverse. That just the way the heat can now vent and keep the pads on the surface. I never had a different pedal though, maybe try a good bleeding and fluid change if it hasn't been done in the past 5 years. You Should be very happy with the performance gain with them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back