Dreaded oil leak

c_capp30

New LVC Member
Reaction score
IMG_1930.PNG
Hey guys I'm looking for some help. I have an 05 V8 with 168k on it and leaking oil pretty bad. Bunches of small puddles everywhere I park, almost seems like it's mixed with coolant but I did just have the water pump replaced. There's always fresh oil on the pan and it looks like it trickles down from above. Looks like it's leaking from the timing cover...could this be possible? Also I have a pretty rough idle so if it ends up being the timing cover gasket I may end up replacing all the chains/tensioners. I have attached a picture of where it's coming from, which is hard to see but seems to be coming from one of the bolt holes at the bottom of the timing cover. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest in the mean time if you're using the LS as a daily driver to change oil 5 quarts 5w30 synthetic high mileage and a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer its thick as honey and will slow the leak drastically ...Remember the timing chain tensioner is plastic and there is two chains on these LS's

2nd GEN does not share same premature timing chain tentioner failure as 1st GEN does.
A 2005 model shouldn't have issues related to secondary or primary tentioners and or chains.
That's not to say that it couldn't. Just not near as vulnerable as it's predecessor 1st GEN's.
Upgrades were made to the 2nd GEN roll-out.

00-02 = 1st GEN
03-06 = 2nd GEN

You should be okay on the chains and tensioners. You have the metal ones. (plastic was up to mid 02 only) I haven't heard of any of the metal ones failing. All 2nd gen have the metal ones.

Yes, it could well be the timing cover gasket leaking. The one on my 04 is leaking (but a very minor amount), and I have talked with another LS owner that had to replace the timing cover gasket on his 2nd gen.

Have a look at the AC compressor and make sure it is dry. When the scroll control valve o-ring leaks, it puts AC oil all over the bottom of the compressor and the oil pan.

2nd GEN does not share same premature timing chain tentioner failure as 1st GEN does.
A 2005 model shouldn't have issues related to secondary or primary tentioners and or chains.
That's not to say that it couldn't. Just not near as vulnerable as it's predecessor 1st GEN's.

00-02 = 1st GEN
03-06 = 2nd GEN

Thanks for the correction guys I wasn't aware that Ford replaced the plastic tensioner on Gen II LS's good to know makes me want an 06' even more now

If you get smoke from the firewall area after driving at speed, then your valve cover gaskets are gone. Its blowing back on the cats and smoking. Both my 2002 and 2001 did that. Never fixed on 2002, 2001 problem gone with new valve covers and jaguar gaskets from christophers. DO NOT use the ones in the lincoln box if you buy new valve covers. They leak like crazy new out of box. My mechanic thought as much as he visually inspected them, but put them on anyway. Should have followed his instincts, but good guy didnt charge me to put the Jag ones on!

95% sure his leak is not valve covers.
100% sure mine isn't.

DO NOT use the ones in the lincoln box if you buy new valve covers. They leak like crazy new out of box.

You certainly have bad luck with plenty of OEM parts for these cars. OEM parts that work just fine for others that is.

00-02 = 1st GEN
03-06 = 2nd GEN

Well that's good to hear but I'm running out of ideas as to why I can't get this thing to idle right and I'm hearing a slight buzzing sound in the engine which sounds a bit like a bad tensioner. Also I just replaced the water pump too so I'm hoping it's nothing too serious but the oil leak is driving me crazy

You should be okay on the chains and tensioners. You have the metal ones. (plastic was up to mid 02 only) I haven't heard of any of the metal ones failing. All 2nd gen have the metal ones.

Yes, it could well be the timing cover gasket leaking. The one on my 04 is leaking (but a very minor amount), and I have talked with another LS owner that had to replace the timing cover gasket on his 2nd gen.

Have a look at the AC compressor and make sure it is dry. When the scroll control valve o-ring leaks, it puts AC oil all over the bottom of the compressor and the oil pan.
Something down there is covered in oil and shit but I have no idea if it's coming from there or not

Did you for sure chase the oil leak down? There is a product called LA's Awesome Degreaser you can buy for a buck a gallon at most dollar stores....I'd spray the pan with degreaser and clean it up really good so to see where it's leaking for sure then go from there...

Did you for sure chase the oil leak down? There is a product called LA's Awesome Degreaser you can buy for a buck a gallon at most dollar stores....I'd spray the pan with degreaser and clean it up really good so to see where it's leaking for sure then go from there...
Yeah I sprayed it all down with brake cleaner and it started from above the oil pan but I figure I might just replace the oil pan gasket and oil filter gasket and see if that might narrow it down or not

Yeah I sprayed it all down with brake cleaner and it started from above the oil pan but I figure I might just replace the oil pan gasket and oil filter gasket and see if that might narrow it down or not
I had oil on the oil plug and back of oil pan this last weekend I degreased the pan and replaced the plug changed out oil...I put 5 quarts of synthetic 5w30 and a quart of Lucius oil stabilizer ....NO MORE LEAK!

I had oil on the oil plug and back of oil pan this last weekend I degreased the pan and replaced the plug changed out oil...I put 5 quarts of synthetic 5w30 and a quart of Lucius oil stabilizer ....NO MORE LEAK!
You should still be at least 1/2 quart low. 6.5 quarts to fill according to the book. Both of mine and several others take 7 quarts to fill. What you suggest is the wrong oil for gen 2 and the Lucius may damage the cam phasers (gen 2 has them, gen 1 does not).

You should still be at least 1/2 quart low. 6.5 quarts to fill according to the book. Both of mine and several others take 7 quarts to fill. What you suggest is the wrong oil for gen 2 and the Lucius may damage the cam phasers (gen 2 has them, gen 1 does not).
Wow! You're teaching me some major differences with Gen 1 and Gen 2 they're different in many ways the manual I have says 6 quarts for 2001 LS but I now know that these cars are different even with capacity specs-------->going out of this Threads front door lol

You certainly have bad luck with plenty of OEM parts for these cars. OEM parts that work just fine for others that is.

Yup, absolutely. That's why I have been talking up looking for alternatives, like down the Jag line. I have noticed a distinct fact that most of you did your changes a couple or more years back, when Visteon still existed in the supply chain and such other factors. I believe most of you are riding on your second round of parts which should last like the first (100k ish for example). Once that round is old or miled up I am betting you will run into the same issues as we noobs are. :D OEM parts that you refer too are mostly gone from the supply chain.

I definitely see the lower grade and less support on parts/service for these cars from lincoln. Not that they may be out right bad like chinese special COPS, but its best to think alternatives from now on IMO.

Yes yes yes ... OEM thermostats are bad, OEM valve cover gaskets are bad, OEM coils are bad. Totally get it .... lot of troubles for you it would seem.

Alternatives of course are fun and much appreciated as long as they meet form fit function. After all these years it's even possible the Dorman tank has gone to a corrected revision and actually perform properly.

^ I bought the doorman tank I'll let you know if I ever finish the motor swap.

Members online

Back