Dreaded Cooling System...

Pyro225

LVC Member
Reaction score
As the new owner of a 2003 Lincoln LS V8, I've been doing LOTS of reading of current & past threads about the cooling system issues common to our cars.
I bought the car 3 months ago with 130k from the 2nd owner. He had within the last few years replaced much of the cooling system (Degas, plastic fill/crossover/thermostat assembly & gaskets, & some of the rubber hoses (uncertain which ones...).
I had a near catastrophic overheat about 1 month ago when the passenger side radiator hose blew a quarter size hole at the hard plastic T. I drained, replaced with correct Motorcraft part, refilled, and bled as manual & Lincoln forum gurus suggest. I have done this once more as I replaced the water pump, thermostat & housing, and all associated gaskets.
Since then, the car continue to overheat - at 225F the fan comes on and the coolant starts to boil in the Degas about 228-230F.
Here's the odd part I have been unable to UTFSE to solve - why do I stay in the range of 210-217F when my heater or defrost is on? That's consistent - it might run hotter than I like, but without fail it stays in that range on the highway, in town, stop & go traffic, 90F air temp. As soon as I turn to 72F automatic climate control or turn climate control off I can see the engine coolant temp quickly starts to rise, the fan comes on, and thecoolant starts to boil again.
My coolant is exactly 50/50 mix Zerex gold per spec and I'm not losing any coolant to speak of (stayed ON the cold fill line over last two 45-60 minute drives).
I've learned a TON about this car reading other posters experience and I appreciate the time and effort you've all put into sharing it.
I'm hoping to avoid the tedious and labor intensive complete cooling system overhaul, specifically the intake removal (famous last words, right). But it's getting closer to being The Next Thing to do, I think...
I have a replacement Motorcraft driver side radiator hose, coolant overflow hose, and DCCV arriving Tuesday as well as an overflow bottle (SKP brand) but I don't want to throw those on without getting input for the Collective Wisdom of the forum.
Anyone care to comment on my process or have similar issues on their LS? I hope to keep my LS on the road and healthy for another 130k (her name is Envy - she's green...)
All guidance and input appreciated.

Doug H

Frankly, all parts need to be Motorcraft. I wouldn't touch that SKP degas bottle.
Sounds like you have the Dorman (or other relabeled Dorman) thermostat and cross over assembly.
What brand is the water pump?

Guilty as charged - the water pump & thermostat w/ housing are both NON Motorcraft - Napa brand I'm almost embarrassed to admit. I had a day free two week ago so I chose to go with parts in stock locally. I hope I haven't complicated the troubleshooting process. I wanted to quickly eliminate a few easily accessible components from the list.
Again, famous last words, right?

I had the same issue using a non-motorcraft tstat. Once I put a motorcraft tstat in, the temps stays in the 205 range unless idling in hot weather but never goes over 225.

OEM for the win again.
Can post it a million times ...

... and they still won't listen!
But this ONE time maybe it will work? LOL. Happened to me with the Tstat, came "free" with a Dura-NOTGONNA-last housing.

Relatedly, and probably lost in this thread, has anyone investigated modifying/changing out the temp gauge to actually track with the ECT rather than having "no yet right....just right....and STOP I"M OVERHEATING" gauge?

Members online

Back