Double din radio installed today (pics)

The Heckler

LVC Member
Reaction score
I made the dash kit out of the face of the stock stereo. What do you think? By the way, Does anybody have the stock metal radio brackets laying around? I need some extra's.

truckcopy.gif

wAIT a minute.. thats the same unit i installed also.. How you like it so far. i'm loving, gps works well, and clear monitor.. install looks awesome man.. great work!!

Big question, what happened to the Fuel, Status, Reset, and Menu button?
But hats off to that effort, looks very nice. :Beer

eclispe avn 5435 2005 model.. sorry guys didn't have my head all there i guess.lol..

yea, avn 5435 its a very nice unit it does cd/am/fm/mp3/dvd/navagation and its touch screen, the face motorizes down and it has a slot for a cd and one slot for dvd. I have the steering wheel controls hooked up to it too. I will be putting the rest of the sound system in when ever i get a chance. Work is so busy right now. I do customers cars all day and I'm sick of working by the time i get to my car.

KD00LS said:

not sure what you mean all of that stuff is on my instrument cluster, still works fine.

The Heckler said:
yea, avn 5435 its a very nice unit it does cd/am/fm/mp3/dvd/navagation and its touch screen, the face motorizes down and it has a slot for a cd and one slot for dvd. I have the steering wheel controls hooked up to it too. I will be putting the rest of the sound system in when ever i get a chance. Work is so busy right now. I do customers cars all day and I'm sick of working by the time i get to my car.

how did you get the steering wheel controls to still work?

where are the buttons, on my ls there right above the HU. i think thats what he means, did they change it for later models?

KD00LS said:

He might have a V6, they do not have the message center like th V8's so there would be no buttons by the vents.

I used a universal steering wheel control adapter made by P.A.C. called a SWIX, an identical part is made by peripheral. And yea my car is a v6 I just got it a couple weeks ago. I love it.

The Heckler said:
I made the dash kit out of the face of the stock stereo. What do you think? By the way, Does anybody have the stock metal radio brackets laying around? I need some extra's.

truckcopy.gif

Thats one of the best looking aftermarket double din install jobs Ive seen on the LS. What would you charge me to come up north (SF Bay Area) and install my soon to be Kenwood 8017 with nav? :gr_hail:

Did you already buy the kenwood? Because the eclipse is a much better unit. (I'm not saying that just cause I have one) I've been an installer for a really long time and I know what works. I'm not saying the kenwood is bad either, but you get more for the money with the eclipse because the nav is built in, which also makes it easier to install. As for the install, wow, that's a long drive, I'm sure something could be worked out if you are serious. I would need either you or the radio to be sent here because there are tools at the shop that i could not take on a trip. It's kind of nerve racking to make it too, because I get one shot with that factory radio. To do it I have to
First take the face off the stock stereo

Then it has to be covered in masking tape

Then I glue a jig to the stock face plate that is the right size for your stereo to go through (glue sticks to the masking tape)

Then then the opening is routered out

From there you have to come up with a creative way to mount the face plate and the radio to the stock brackets.

I guess i would have to see your stock radio too so i know the opening will be big enough to cover all of the stock buttons, (I'm sure it does)

Hawk03 said:
He might have a V6, they do not have the message center like th V8's so there would be no buttons by the vents.

I certainly do not have the v6, I guess it changed in later years.

My car is an 04. Here is another dash i did for an upcoming episode of Rides on TLC. The car is an Chevy HHR. I filled the oversized radio opening and put the eclipse in then made the bezel around the ac stuff all one smooth piece. The i took the flip open lid on the top of the dash and made it into a housing for another screen.
Picture021.jpg

question 4 the heckler iam planning on building a fiberglass sub box for 2 15 inch subs and was wondering if u know by ne chance
how thick i should make the fiberglass?

Your Wiring..

The Heckler said:

truckcopy.gif

OK, I AM CONVINCED THIS IS THE WAY TO GO FOR ME. I HAVE TO ASK HOW DID YOU WIRE IT UP? DID YOU USE THE FACTORY AMPS OR AFTERMARKET? I HAVE THE SCHEMATICS TO THE SYSTEM AND I WAS CURIOUS TO KNOW IF I COULD CONTINUE TO USE THE STOCK AMPS AND SPEAKERS WITH THIS HEADUNIT. PLEASE LET ME KNOW OR GIVE ME SOME DIRECTION. I WANT TO START THIS PROJECT ASAP.

big_tymer said:
question 4 the heckler iam planning on building a fiberglass sub box for 2 15 inch subs and was wondering if u know by ne chance
how thick i should make the fiberglass?

I dont usually use any rule of thumb. Just make sure its not flexing and it should be fine. (usually takes at the least 4 to 5 layers) but if you use a really thick fleace then it shouldn't take as much (maybe two layers Minimum)

Members online

Back