Double Din Installation Issues (Fitment/Brackets)

BrianDye

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Skip this paragraph if you want to get right to the problem:
Was going to install my single din Pioneer, at least temporarily so I could have bluetooth, better sound quality, etc. Ordered a non-Metra single din kit that sucked ass. Nothing lined up, brackets were a joke, etc. Decided to splurge and grabbed a nice Pioneer double din (AVH-X4800), backup cam, steering wheel control adapter, and the Metra 95-5000s dash kit. It all came the other day, but the dash kit had two of the same side brackets. (I had two brackets for the right side, vs one left, one right) I requested a replacement through Amazon, and they said it won't ship until the end of September, WTF. (I have Prime, too) So I added one to my cart as if I was going to buy it, and said guaranteed two day delivery, so I ordered it and cancelled the replacement. It will be here tomorrow.

----------------------

Those little plastic brackets are so flimsy its not funny. This deck has quite a bit of weight to it, I don't foresee these brackets working out. (Ive also read this on a few install threads) People suggest using the stock metal brackets and just drilling holes in it to screw the radio in to. Easier said than done, most of my radios holes are in the big voids these metal brackets have, and trying to hold it all together and measuring sucks ass. I've installed probably 15-20 double dins in my life, and this is by far the dumbest design, and most work of any that ive done. The radio not screwing into the bezel itself is so dumb.

Now aside from that, this kit is designed to recess the radio nearly 1/2" or more, which looks so awful. I see picture after picture of people who've installed double din radios and they are flush with the dash. What are you guys trimming to get it to fit like that? Pictures would be much appreciated if you had any. Do I need to shave the whole rectangle lip down, or can I just like cut the bottom off, or top or something?

I agree that the plastic alone isn't enough. On both of mine, I used both the plastic brackets and the original metal ones. I think it was plastic on the inside and metal on the outside. You have to bend/squeeze the metal brackets in a little to get the top bolts in, but it does work. No drilling was required. (I put two screws through the plastic on each side to hold the radio. There are none through the metal brackets into the radio, but having the metal tight against the plastic brackets makes them strong enough. Try it and you'll see what I mean.)

I was able to get the JVC that I put in the 06 to come out flush with the dash, no problem. On the 04 LS, I used a Pioneer. On it, the sides got wider after about a 1/4 inch, so I could not fit it though the faceplate enough for it to be flush. It is inset a bit.

Well, getting both of the correct brackets in today with the replacement kit made things a hell of a lot easier.

I wanted to try with *just* the plastic brackets and if there was any flex or worry of them bending/snapping, I was going to try something like you said, a mix of both brackets. With the plastic ones, my Pioneer lined right up. The top edge of the unit is flush with the top of the bezel, the bottom has a small lip, but my Pioneer tilts, and the setting I have it on looks great. Not sure why it looked so bad holding it up and mocking it up on the table.

So I got everything wired up, I have the Axxess steering wheel control adapter working great, ignition wire tapped into the wire in the back right panel to get the delayed accesories, and my backup cam also powered from the delayed circuit so I can access the camera at any time on the radio. I have the trigger wire connected to one of the two wires on the pass. side reverse light, and it seems to work great, shift into reverse, cam comes onto the radio, shift out of reverse, cam display goes away.

But I have some issues.

1. When I got in after buttoning all the panels back up, I turn the key to run, all doors closed, my interior lights are staying on until they time-out, or I click them on and off from the dimmer wheel. My backup cam is randomly popping up on the radio as if im shifting into park. Its completely random.

Any ideas where to start? The radio, and controls work perfectly, its just the lights and the backup cam randomly popping up, so the radio is getting a signal triggering the reverse sensor. Does it have something todo with the reverse lights wiring? I think they are always hot, but the ground is switched or something I read?

Pics of the radio:
uMPT9NXl.jpg

r8U7wsnl.jpg

Jq0JKoMl.jpg

Here it is with no tilt setting:
HtWr2hkl.jpg

Heres how I prefer it:
YTGpBibl.jpg

I think you have some wiring to chase down on the interior lights.
I used a relay on the reverse light to make a trigger signal for the radio. Alternately, you could probably use the reverse signal that runs to the interior rear view mirror. The REM pulses current to the backup lights to verify that they are okay. That's probably your problem. Using a relay filters that out, as it is not fast enough to respond to the pulses. I also had to use a relay with the JVC because it had no option to trigger on negative instead of positive. The LS does indeed apply +12V to the bulbs while it is awake, and switch the ground to the bulbs on and off to turn the bulbs on and off.
I have heard that some backup cameras don't last very long at all if powered all the time the car is on. I don't know if that is true or not.

I think you have some wiring to chase down on the interior lights.
I used a relay on the reverse light to make a trigger signal for the radio. Alternately, you could probably use the reverse signal that runs to the interior rear view mirror. The REM pulses current to the backup lights to verify that they are okay. That's probably your problem. Using a relay filters that out, as it is not fast enough to respond to the pulses. I also had to use a relay with the JVC because it had no option to trigger on negative instead of positive. The LS does indeed apply +12V to the bulbs while it is awake, and switch the ground to the bulbs on and off to turn the bulbs on and off.
I have heard that some backup cameras don't last very long at all if powered all the time the car is on. I don't know if that is true or not.

Ok, I was right on the reverse then. The more I thought about it today, I was thinking about the bulb-out system and maybe it sending some kind of pulse signal to the bulbs, which would be enough to trigger the radio. I have a box of prewired relays ill throw in there. For now, I just unhooked the trigger wire.

As for the interior lights, I am absolutely stumped. They function perfectly as normal with the doors, and even shut off if I start the car, but lets say I walk up to the car, unlock it (interior lights and puddle lamps turn on), I turn the key all the way to run but not start, the lights stay on until the normal timeout duration (20-30 secs?), or right away if I start it. They also don't come on when I turn the key off/take it out of the ignition like I thought they normally do.

I mean its no big deal, but its gonna bug the sh*t out of me. I don't recall it happening before I tapped into that gray/violet wire in the rear panel. Maybe Ill disconnect that, and see if it still happens. If it does, maybe ill have to add a relay or something.

... and to get video playback to work a whole lot easier = http://www.diybypass.com/products.html

Slightly illegal but ... so is nose picking while driving. (in some US states)

I left that detail out, I may or may not have that :)

But I definitely didn't pay $15 (+shipping?) for it!

I also added the 5v regulator to stop the amps from popping. Weirdly enough, the console speakers work with this radio, but I heard nothing from the single din Pioneer I had in there.

I do hope the quality of camera you got was very good, if not I wound't expect it to last too long, I went through a couple until I switched it to come on with only the reverse lights (and after all, I never once used that feature other than testing it when it was first put in)

also, I will recommend that you double think about having your radio rest at any angle other than straight up... with double din radios that have a moving face, the vast majority broken units are due to some failure in the either the mechanics of the face or the ribbon cable that makes it work. personally I stay away from units with moving faces, but as I'm probably going to have to cave in sooner or later to get Android Auto, moving the face as little as often to prolong its life.

I will say that the weird depth of the dash kit does fit units with the thicker moving faces, but it does look terrible with smaller screen non-moving units and I did have to use a dremel to cut the lip back quite a bit.

I couldn't deal with a flat unit, I've had a couple of Pioneer DD's now that tilt and never had issues with them. Flip outs are the ones that always die young, same reason you said that ribbon cable wearing out. Mine just tilts one or two positions out which is maybe a centimeter or so. I don't even mess with DVDs and CDs so it'll never fully open.

As for the interior lights, I am absolutely stumped. They function perfectly as normal with the doors, and even shut off if I start the car, but lets say I walk up to the car, unlock it (interior lights and puddle lamps turn on), I turn the key all the way to run but not start, the lights stay on until the normal timeout duration (20-30 secs?), or right away if I start it. They also don't come on when I turn the key off/take it out of the ignition like I thought they normally do.

That's normal operation for my Gen 1. They stay on for the full 20-30 seconds unless the engine is actually running. No automatic-on when turning the key to Off (and I'd absolutely hate it if it did *coughHyundaicough*, or worse, unlocked all the doors *coughGMcough*). Maybe Gen 2 changed? I do wish turning to Run would shut my lights, but I definitely don't need the car exposing my business just because I turned it off

Yeah I think not turning on when the key is off is normal, but they should come on when the key is taken out of the ignition. At least they have in every other Ford I've owned. Maybe they're acting normal I just never noticed how different they are from my other vehicles?

My 00 V8 Sport's interior lights come on when I turn the car off/remove the key.

I swear mine did. This will be the only Ford vehicle I've ever owned that doesn't.

What mounting kit did you order for the double din radio? I was thinking of purchasing this exact radio, could you give me some tips on installing? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've never installed a radio in any of my vehicles before. ;)

Edit: Didn't realize this was a dead thread ):

Members online

No members online now.
Back