Door won't open from inside or outside!!

ap1975

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok....I took my nephews to McDonalds yesterday and when we go to get back in the car the front passenger side door won't open at all. From the inside or the outside. I've done some searching and have found threads regarding not opening from inside OR outside but not both at the same time. When I hit the lock button the the latch isn't moving either. Any ideas?? Thanks!

can u open it and close it with the key. Is the problem with the remote key less? if it is i know what the problem is and i can tell u exactly what to do.. it happened to me on thursday

the cable connecting the handle to the motor inside the door is probably worn out... happened to alot of us on here and you need a new assembly... i forgot how much it ran me, its weird that the door wont open from the outside tho, so maybe its a different problem

Manually lock the door from the inside then manually open the door from the inside that should do the trick. If you are unlocking the door at the same time that it is being opened that door will not open.

open the door panel and see if that wire that it uses to do the locking mechanism is still in tact.. thats pretty much the bulk of ur problem prolly

This is the closest thread I could find to my issue when I searched. Not quite the same problem, but close.

Drivers door would not open last Saturday morning, from outside or inside. Both handles pulled all the way out like they normally do and absolutely no resistance to the pull. They both acted like they weren't connected to anything. I re-locked the locks, unlocked them. Used the fob and the key multiple times, nothing. It wasn't cold enough for anything to be frozen so I assumed something broke.

I drove to work, about a 20 minute drive. Thought maybe driving with the heater going may change something, no dice. Had to crawl out over the console. Tried the outside again before walking away, still nothing.

4 Hours later, I go to leave work. Figure what the heck, I'll try again. Door has been working fine since. WTF? It has actually been colder since then. It was below 20 yesterday morning and no problems.

Any ideas guys?

I think that I would replace the door latch assembly. If you are less risk adverse, you might try just lubricating it first.

At the very least, I think that I would remove the interior door trim while the door was open. Now, when it fails again, you won't have to destroy the trim to get in there to fix it.

lol I've been there with this one too. Just chuckled and went in the passenger side, eventually it started working again.

I was thinking about taking the interior panel off to at least take a look at it. The latch itself looks new, this is a door I had replaced about 2 years ago from an accident. I sprayed P B Blaster in the latch mechanism, see what happens next.

lol I've been there with this one too. Just chuckled and went in the passenger side, eventually it started working again.

250 lbs ain't easy (or pretty) getting over that freakin console! LOL

My issue is that I can't lock the drivers side door with the FOB. I can only lock or unlock with the key or from inside the door. All the other doors lock and unlock with the FOB. When I bought the car, the salesman broke the door handle when he was getting out of it but had it fixed. I don't know if this issue was present prior to that breakage or if when they put everything back together if they just didn't connect it all back up. I just haven't taken the time to open it up to check.

My issue is that I can't lock the drivers side door with the FOB. I can only lock or unlock with the key or from inside the door. All the other doors lock and unlock with the FOB. When I bought the car, the salesman broke the door handle when he was getting out of it but had it fixed. I don't know if this issue was present prior to that breakage or if when they put everything back together if they just didn't connect it all back up. I just haven't taken the time to open it up to check.

Definitely sounds like something unplugged.

I know my fob still works, I could hear all the doors locking/unlocking when I hit the button.

My issue is that I can't lock the drivers side door with the FOB. I can only lock or unlock with the key or from inside the door. All the other doors lock and unlock with the FOB...
...I don't know if this issue was present prior to that breakage or if when they put everything back together if they just didn't connect it all back up.

Definitely sounds like something unplugged.

that would be the first thing I would check, however not knowing if the problem preceded that repair, it could also just be a failed actuator.

Any ideas guys?

yours definitely sound like the actuator is beginning to fail

that would be the first thing I would check, however not knowing if the problem preceded that repair, it could also just be a failed actuator.

yours definitely sound like the actuator is beginning to fail

Hoping there is no need for a new actuator at this point. I am not trying to spend any more money than I have to this time of year :xmas: . crossing my fingers that something is just ajar or not plugged in.

Hoping there is no need for a new actuator at this point. I am not trying to spend any more money than I have to this time of year :xmas: . crossing my fingers that something is just ajar or not plugged in.

Do your interior lights come on and go off with the opening/closing of that door? Door ajar message working correctly? If yes, then it's not that it's unplugged.

yours definitely sound like the actuator is beginning to fail[/QUOTE]

So far, after spraying the door latch with P B Blaster, no problems what so ever. Even with the colder weather.

Do your interior lights come on and go off with the opening/closing of that door? Door ajar message working correctly? If yes, then it's not that it's unplugged.

Yes to all that. So I guess I'm screwed again. :runaway:

My rear passenger door will no longer open from inside or out. When I play with the door locks, the locking mechanism works fine.

Now, from what I can gather, the only option I have is to remove interior door liner with the door closed. I think it can be done, other then the screw that rest behind the cars interior liner, close to the hip when sitting in the rear seat. (I hope the imagery is good enough for those who know what I talking about).

Anyway, if this doesn't work, am I screwed to call 1-800-open my door ? Or does someone have another way of working around this ?

Thanks

Fixed my own problem yesterday. Figure I'd post this info in case someone else faces this.

I replaced rear passenger side door actuator a few days ago. My first mistake was not having clipped the exterior door handle rod far enough in the plastic clip. My second mistake was not to check if I had mistakenly activated the interior child safety lock. When I tried to open the door from outside, the rod being too short to properly activate door latch, would not open from outside. The fact I had mistakenly activated child lock safety, prevented me to open the door from Inside.

I managed to pull apart the upper portion of the door liner, and remove the window rubber liner. But that didn't provide enough space for me to stick my arm inside the door. So, I then moved on to unbolt the door hindges, and, with someone else holding the door open as far as they can from the hindges side of the door, this allowed me to finish pulling apart the liner that sits behind the car frame.

Once all this done, I was able to stick my arm all the way inside, and push open the latch manually.

Members online

Back